Saturday, October 25, 2003

I was all snugged down in my warm bed, socks on my ice cold feet, a cup of hot cocoa (made from Scratch) Sadie in bed for the night, and reading "I is for Innocent" and had just got to the part where Bibianna had jsut escaped from Raymond when the phone rang. It was my Sister Phyllis. The Northern lights were supposed to show up tonight, and the sky is actually clear. She called to see if I would go down to the beach with her to see if we could see them. I groaned and told her I was already in bed. She begged, so I said ok, you run by and pick me up.

I crawled out of my nice warm bed threw on my sweats over my still warm pj's and slipped on my Birkies and went to the street to wait for her. We went down to the beach, where there is no light and parked the car looking North so we could see if there was any Boreal activity. NOPE. THat is when Phyllis confessed that she only wanted me there because she is afraid of the dark. I have known her all of her life, I knew that. That is what Sister's are for. To keep the other one safe from the scary monsters in the dark. Done it all my life! Of course I'm afraid too, so we both sat there telling scary stories, in the dark, in a car, on the beach road, in our pj's. I looked over at phyllis and said..."I hope a cop doesn't come by now, they will think we are parkers, and flash a light into the car, and then they'll think we are LESBIANS!!!"

There was a faint wisp of ground fog every once in awhile, but for the most part the sky was clear, and the stars were so close you could hear them twinkling. We could hear the ducks and waterfowl on Crockett Lake, and the owls hooting in the trees across the Lake. The Salt water was sloshing softly on the rocks and they were making a soft rushing noise as the water pushed and pulled at them. These are rocks almost through with their evolution from boulders into sand. THey are mostly gravel size, and make a very musical sound when moved by the water. It was one of the coldest nights so far this season, 36 and you could see your breath. The only thing missing was the Northern Lights. THey were a no-show. At least at midnight they were.

No comments: