Wednesday, October 29, 2003

And then there was Light!!!

Well, If you have been reading Phyllis' blog, you will know that I was without power for awhile yesterday, and it was not too stable when it came back on. I opted to be safe, and NOT be on the 'puter. I turned it off, and went to bed. Lights kept dimming, so I was watching TV and woke up when my daughter got home. She works off Island In Everett. The wind was sooo bad and coming from a different direction than usual, that it caused wide spread damage. Some of it being at the Mukilteo Ferry landing. The Ivars Restaurant there lost it's outside deck, and the water was slapping so hard UNDER the place that the floors were raising 3-4 FEET up. Needlees to say they evacuated the place. Donna stops there frequently for dinner before she gets on the ferry to come home. I called and she was in the mall. The Ferry had shut down for safety, and the line was 2 miles up the hill, so she figured she'd play it safe and shop. None of the street lights were working all along hiway 99 and 525. She said when she got on the ferry, that you couldn't see the island. All the lights were out.

Yep They were. Especially on the south end where the ferry lands. A branch feel over the main line up-island, and put everybody in the dark. Tree fell on a car in the state park killing one man too. Bad winds!!! The news said it was gusting up to 63 MPH on the Base. I believe it!

My Garbage can rolled across the front yard, and the front door blew open, that's when I knew the wind was different. My lights went out at 4:00 so I went on in to Oak Harbor to the Playhouse. Got the Bios and pictures posted on the lobby wall, set up the box office for member's night and turned it over to someone else and left. On the way home, I looked across the water at Coupeville, and there were no lights. Somebody STOLE Coupeville!~!! wow. When I got over there, only the old part or the historical part was black, the Prarie Center side was lit. I took the back way home to avoid the non-working stoplight, and it looked so odd to not see lights in the farmhouses. It was almost like You were all alone. The fields were dark, but across the sound you could see a few lights, and the glow from Seattle was showing above the South end. Othwerwise, DARK! Real DARK!

I had put a flashlight between the storm door and the front door for Donna, and called and told her the power was out. She wasn't home yet, so I left my headlights on and got the flashlight to get into the house. Went back turned out the headlights and came in and lit lamps and candles. I pulled out the Coleman lamp, assembled it and turned it on. It puts out heat as well as light, so I put it on the desk, and turned on the laptop to post my blog to word.

Lint jumped up and curled around the lantern to keep warm and stuck his nose right on to the chimney of the lamp and burned his little nose. Won't do that again. Just got all comfy, had the boom-box tuned to the local channel KWDB and listened to the local news. Had 1/2 a page written on the lappie and heard a generator close by. Hmmmmm Lea must have bought a new generator, she said she was, and she had lights. I typed a little more, and just felt weird, so I got up to look outside, and noticed that everybody else had a generator too. How weird is that? turned around to blog some more and noticed the kitchen light was on. DUH!!!!

Lesson for Mary Lou: ALWAYS KEEP A LIGHT TURNED ON IN THE ROOM YOU ARE IN SO YOU KNOW WHEN THE POWER COMES BACK ON. DUH DUH DUH

This morning I put Sadie out to pottie, and I watched her from my window. She did her business and was watching the birds, and decided to chase one. Right under the Wisteria bush and right into stinging Nettles!!! they bit her little nose, and she jumped back and barked and barked and barked at the BIG BAD BUSH that EATS PUPPY NOSES!! I laughed so hard. She is such a joy,

Ok, I'm caught up now. gotta get wood in and get ready for Chapter 2 which will hit either tonight or tomorrow. It is all coming down fron the Gulf of Alaska. OK Rachel, how bad is it gonna be, you have it first I hear.

No comments: