Thursday, October 16, 2003

Autumn storm.

I woke up this morning with rain blowing in my window, right on my face. I love that feeling. Wasn't really wanting it today though, as it got my hair wet again, and I had to work today. Ah well. Sadie wanted to just run and run and chase the leaves all over the yard. She went behind the deck, and a big gust of wind came roaring through between the houses, and out she ran, tail tucked between her legs, back legs in front of her front legs and yipping loudly. MOMMIE! MOMMIE! big bad Noise growling at me!!! She ran under my robe, and peeked out as I stood there laughing my ass off. She gave me a look that said, "you aren't sposed to laugh at me, I'm SCARED." So I picked her up and cuddled her, as I took her back into the house.

Had to get the Dear Darling Daughter up, as the lights were blinking and I knew she would need the electricity before the power went out. There were three little bitty alder trees down across the power lines as I drove into work, not enough to break the lines, but enough to worry you as you drove under them.

This storm kinda took us by surprise. We knew one was coming, but had no idea it would be this intense. We live with the knowledge that we can and will loose power. So we stay well prepared with hurricane lamps, extra kerosene, lots of candles, batteries, bottles of water, Coleman lanterns, stoves and plenty of wood and kindling. Unfortunately for me, I had to go to WORK!!! I would have loved to stay home and watch the storm blow on through.

I live on a hill side about 1/4 mile from the water up about 100 feet, and just dead North of the Hood Canal. This Canal is a long narrow fijord really, surrounded by high land masses, one side is the Olympic Mountains and the other is the Kitsap Penninsula. Wind that comes swirling in from the Pacific, and skirts the bottom of the Mountains picks up speed as it tries to push its' way through the narrow opening. We get smacked every time the storms come in from Hawaii. Commonly called the Pineapple Express.

When I realized how bad it was, I drove home along the back way, by the Ferry landing and along the beach. THe Ferry to Pt. Townsend had been cancelled all day because of the high winds. (trust me you do not want to be on the ferry in wind like that) The water in the Keystone Harbor was splashing up onto the Ferry landing, and really putting on a show. As I drove down the 1.2 mile strand deserted by now, I watched the waves break over the rocky berms and splash way up into the air. LOVED IT!!! I am hooting and yelling and WOWIng and Sadie is just laying there on the front seat, looking up at me under her eyelashes, like "man she has really flipped out".

I got home, and ran in to turn on the scanner. There was so much traffic on it that you couldn't really tell what was going on except that there were a whole lot of trees down. Life in Rural Washington State, can be really exciting...you just gotta look for it, and take pleasure in the small things, wind, sea, rocks, trees, storms, candles, lanterns, portable radios, and lots of long haired pets to keep you warm and secure. I used to want a guy, but now If I had one, he would probably get all mushy on me, in front of the fire, and I'd just want to watch the STORM. Don't get storms like these everyday. (Shit! Don't get nookie EVER!)...

No comments: