Tuesday, September 16, 2003

AHHHHH THE SMELL OF RAIN!!!

IT rained. and it rained. And it rained again. It is almost like it was trying to make up for the rainless summer we had. It is needed though. THe reservoirs are way down, the forests are tinder-dry, grass that is usually green is all dry and brown. We needed the rain badly. I woke up yesterday to a wonderful fresh smell, and the coldest breeze blowing through the window. I was freezing! I sleep under an open window year round, but I usually have warm blankets ready to pull up. The coolness caught me by surprise. I crawled back under the few blankets I had and laid (layed?) there until I quit shivering, then I got up and moved to the couch and hid under an afghan.

I do love to smell a good hard rain. Not when it first starts, because it smells dirty, but after it has been pouring for awhile. It smells so.........GREEN. The trees in the back are actually gulping in the moisture. It has quit raining right now, but it soulnds like it is still falling.

Sadie wasn't too sure about it though. She woke up at 2:00 this morning, and had to go pottie, so out we trudged, rain coming down like mad. I put her down, and she started shivering, and lifted her little feet as if to say, "mommie, what is this stuff". Did not take her long to find a puddle though. And just like a little kid with new boots, she spalshed and played in it. "come on Sadie, poop, so I can go back in." nope, we gotta play in this new stuff. So here I am at two AM in my pj's, no coat, no umbrella, getting soaked while I let the baby experience rain for the first time in her little young life.

I stayed awake for another hour or so, just listening to it fall, and run through the gutters. I love it so. And this morning is just perfect. Sun breaks with big fluffy clouds. A fresh breeze and dripping trees. Only thing better would be SNOW! Ok Leslie and Kat, don't shoot me. Actually it may be closer than we think. THe news is on right now, and there is a cold upper level trough bringing down cold air from the Gulf of ALaska, and the passes are getting snow already. Usually doesn't happen for a few more months yet. OOOO they just said that the Farmer's Almanac says COLD and Dry winter weather for the Pacific NW. YES!!! I LOVE the cold.

No comments: