Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Maps

All of my life I have had a fascination with maps. Road maps, Atlases, National Geographic Maps, topography maps, National Park Maps, all of them. When we were young, Dad would get orders from San Diego to Washington, or San Diego to Hawaii, or Hawaii to Washington, etc. In order to get there we all piled into our usually old beater car, and head North or South as the case may be. Phyllis Ann and I would have to fight over the backseat, and we each staked out our territory and the other was NEVER to cross the line. Dad would drive and Mom would read the Map. “There is a town coming up, Can you stop so the girls can go to the Bathroom?”

That immediately evoked feelings of I GOTTA PEE NOW! And of course the next town would not have an open gas station with a bathroom that Mom would use. We usually ended up bouncing on the back seat holding our hands between our legs and BEGGING Daddy to stop. He finally would, usually in the wide spot on the road so we could pee on the side of the road. (I was 5-8 Phyllis Ann was 2-5) We always wondered why Dad had to go before we could stop.

As we grew older, and could read, I got to see THE MAP. I learned how to fold it, and how to hold it so that I always knew the direction we were traveling. By reading along as we went, I learned the different symbols for towns, cities, Hiways and Places of Interest. I learned where National Monuments and National Parks were. On the backs of some of the maps were interesting stories about the State that we were traveling through.

As the years passed, and the traveling with Mom and Dad ceased, the travel with Husbands began. I always stopped and got a road map every time we entered a new state. Mind you, I could NOT re-use a map! Besides, back then, Texaco and Shell Stations all gave away FREE maps. I would write on these maps the places we stopped and the sights we saw. I would also write where there was and was not services. (I was through peeing in the woods)

Out of habit, Every time I would see a map, I would read it thoroughly. I would read the towns, and the cities, look at the place names and wonder how they got there. Whiskey Dick Mountain, Screaming Woman Creek, Bald Knob, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Because of this I was usually pretty good in Geography. I could name all the countries in Africa, I could name all the State Capitals, and I could name all the capitol Cities of the Countries.

This weekend, I was watching CBC, and they were re-running the finals for the Women’s Curling Championships. They were in Red_____ Canada. I grabbed the Gazetteer, and looked for a Red______ Canada. The only one I saw was Red Deer, Alberta. So I assumed that was it? This was late at night, and before you know it I had spent over 4 hours reading the Atlas. I noticed how blank Canada is above Edmonton. I then read across to the Eastern Provinces. I have never been there and wondered if I ever will. I also looked at the Tongas National Forest and saw how very vast it was, and how soon it will be destroyed if logging is continued at the rate it is.

I will spend hours reading these maps that I get. It is one way to get to know the places your friends have lived. I have maps from Germany, and maps from Sicily , Maps of Alaska, where I followed the Iditarod and circled all of the stops for two straight years. I have maps from Nevada, where I highlighted all of the roads I explored while I was there. I have the Island County map which was printed way before development started. I even have a Map of California before Interstate 5 was built!

When I am reading a book, the map of the area is right beside me, and I use it to check on the accuracy of the author. I take these maps on Airplanes, and look down and try to figure out where we are flying over. People have collections of teacups, and teddy bears, and License Plates, I have Maps.

A strange hobby I know, But it is enjoyable, and since I will probably never have the opportunity to visit any other countries, It at least helps me know where all of you live. So in all of your Garage cleaning, or household reducing you should come across a map of the state or Country that you live in, If you would Circle where you live and send it to me I will be even more enriched. The friends I have made have enriched me, and just knowing more about your countries would please me greatly.

No comments: