Sunday, March 07, 2004

LOLA'S BACK!!!!

I am laying there this morning, the alarm had gone off at 7:00, and I could not get my eyes to open. They were all watery and burny... I sat up coughed and layed back down. I kept trying to get those eyes all the way open, but could not. As I was laying there listening to the doves cooing, and the chickadees twittering, I heard a CHIT CHIT CHIT!!! LOLA!!!!!!!!!!

Lola for those of you new to this site is a Douglas squirrel. Actually there are several, but unless I see them more than one at a time, they are all called LOLA! If I see two then the first is Lola and the second is Rita, then there is Sal, which can be either a he or a she as befits the backside of said squirrel.

This is Sadie's first Spring, so she chases Lola away from the feeder. She chases the birds away too, but they have caught on that she cant reach them so they come right back. Lola hasn't quite figured that out yet. Lola was running back and forth on the neighbors wooden fence just a chattering....

I picked up the binoculars and could not see a thing My eyes are so fuzzy right now. Pisses me off! I tried to rub the floaters away and just made them sting even more. I finally got a good look at Lola, and she looks nice and fat and healthy! Her coat looks full and colorful, and her tail was fluffy. I was worried about her since I have not seen her since the first of the year.

Must have been living off the nuts she squirreled away this last fall. I have corn cobs stuck into the fence about every 20 feet to entice her closer to the feeder. Hope it works. Sadie will be the kicker though. If she continues to chase her away she may not come back. Gotta figure this out...

The Woodpeckers and the Hummers aren't flocking like they did last year either. NOTHING scares the hummers, but I have only seen one or two of them this year. BOO!!! Must be the weather down south. California is getting hammered with rain and wind, so maybe that is keeping them down there.

HERE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE!!

No comments: