Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Death...

All of you who have been reading me for awhile know how I love to feed the birds. I will do anything to attract new species to my feeders. I finally have 3 different species of Woodpeckers that are coming to the suet feeder now. Downey, Hairy and A Northern Flicker.

This morning while making coffee I heard a loud bang on the dining room window, and when I raised the shade, three Northern Flickers flew away from the ground below the window, but one did not...


flicker

I was broken hearted! I hope that this one is not the one that I have worked so hard to attract. I picked him up and brought him to the railing, but it was evident that he was dead, and not just stunned, His tongue was hanging out, and his eyes were non-reactive and half open.


northern flicker

they are so beautifully colored, a blush of red on their cheeks and a hint of Orange on the edges of their wings. The black and gray and white spotted body is so intricate. What a waste! And I will not let ugly orange kitty from across the street eat him either.

I am so SAD! :(

No comments: