Thursday, April 15, 2004

Lola!!! whoops SAL!!!

I woke up this morning to the putt-putt-putt=putt of the rooster quail herding his tiny flock into the yard. I peeked over the top of the window sill and lay there watching them come across the yard, through the newly tilled garden, and over to the feeder. They spent about 10 minutes scratching through the seed hulls looking for cracked corn etc.

While I was watching, Lola came down out of the pussy willow bush where I must have scared her when I peeked over. She jumped on to the feeder then on to the big sunflower platform. Now I have mentioned before that the platform is really a huge piece of tempered glass sitting on top of two bird baths, and can get very slick. Lola jumps over, hits the glass and slides right off into the crap under the feeder. SHakes her self off, clibs up the feeder post, and jumps over to the glass, slides off and does it all over again. I was laughing at her antics, when she stopped, sat with her back too me, her tail curled over her head, munching on a sunflower seed. She bent over to get another one and that is when I saw it was ....SAL!!!! He had the biggest set of Kahunas for his size that I have ever seen. Now last year, I only saw SAL once or twice, Lola was there most of the time. BUt this guy was so honking big he couldnt even sit down!!! looks like two hazelnuts hanging there. (oh should I call him Hazel?) he sat there and ate until the quail moved on out.

During this time two Doves were on the feeder, the female was there first, quietly eating her seeds, and the male flew over and sat right beside her. He puffed up his chest and let go with his who-AH-hoo-hoo-hoo! and proceeded to try to jump on her bones, she turns around pecks him right in the face and says "How many times have I told you NOT WHILE IM EATING!!!" he moves away hoo-AH-hoo-hoo-hoo, and starts all over again. She whacks him with her wing and screams at him "NOT AT THE DINNER TABLE!" and moves away. He siddles over hoo-AH-hoo-hoo-hoo, and she turns and screams again, "NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY PLATE YOU ASSHOLE!!!" and turns and flys away! He sits there for a few minutes, hoo-Ah-hoo-hooing then shrugs his shoulders and commences to eat his fill of sunflower seeds. Males are all alike...SEX, Give Me SEX, oh well then, give me FOOD!

No comments: