Monday, December 22, 2003

Winter Solstice

Today is the shortest day of the year...YAHOO!!! I hate the short days, I hate waking up in the dark and going to bed in the dark. I enjoy the early morning sunrises...at 4:00! and I really enjoy the long afternoons and evenings that Summer brings. I enjoy the peace that the thought of Winter Solstice brings. There is a hush hanging over the world. The stars are twinkling brightly and coldly. The moon is just a tiny little sliver, but it won't be making it's appearance for a while yet. The owls are hooting far off in the woods, and the bunnies are hopping through the yard looking for any thing that Lola may have dropped in her run from feeder to fence.

Coming home from rehearsal tonite the ground fog was reaching it's cold fingers up from the fields onto the road. It was making it very hard to see. All of a sudden in the fog there is an ethereal light coming through, all colored and wavy in the fog. As I drove closer I saw that it was the light of the Christmas lights reflecting onto the fog, like a halogram. When I was even with the farm house I saw the very top of the roof, clearly visible as the fog was really low, and the top of the house was sporting a huge lighted star of Bethlehem. It was so clear, like it was trying to bring the 3 kings and the shepards to the barn. It was almost eerie!



As I drove through Coupeville, there was no fog, until I got close to the O.L.F. airstrip and then it socked in again. As the road turns in to a giant S curve at the head of the field, I looked across at the Youderians farmhouse, and could barely make out the Colorado Spruce tree that she has all lit up with the giant colored lights. It was there, like a beacon, telling me that it was safe, come on around.

I looked up Winter Solstice on the internet, and learned that the early Christians did not celebrate Christmas, because no one was sure exactly when Christ's actual birthday was. It was the early priests and Prophets that decided to use the pagan holidays as a Christian celebration, to capitalize on the spreading of the religion.

THe original Pagan celebration was to dance naked around a huge bon-fire and paint their bodies blue and wear mud-hats. ya s'pose the neighbors would care?

No comments: