Sunday, December 28, 2003

Setting Goals for Retirement

Patrick made a comment about what I had set as goals for my retirement back in February. I PHHHFFTTTTT'd at him, but it got me to thinking. I actually did not realize that I had set any goals. Since he so pointedly pointed out, it is getting close to NEW YEARS resolution time. I went back into by archives and found an entry that did actually set some goals. Have I finished any of them? Yes I have. But not an important one. I have all of my crafts neatly organized into boxes and labeled so that I can get into them easier. I have not finished the trim on my house, I have not finished the quilts or the afghans, I have not painted the inside of the house except for Donnas bedroom, which I was going to turn into a sitting room; then she came home. I have planed a very small garden and did put up the results, I did make all kinds of Jam, I did get the yard in order, I did get the deck built, but everything else got put on hold for Playhouse business. I got this entry out and plan to just keep reposting it every year until I finally get the list completed. Nobody said how long it was sposed to take you to complete a resolution did they? just said you needed to set a goal. I did...

FEBRUARY 24, 2003
I'm not sure what type of blog I want here, just brain dumps, or a real log. Do I want to get into emotions and feelings for the world to see? Do I want to write this just for me, or with the thought that others will be reading it also. Although I don't know how anyone but Chemystery would even know about it. Hrmmmmmm....we'll see how this works out. Perhaps I will do both.

I can't believe that I only have 1 1/2 real days of work left. As I told my daughter I have NEVER been unemployed and NOT pregnant and pukey! This is going to really be an eye-opener for me. I have all kinds of people asking me what I am planning to do with my time....lets see...I have a three bedroom home with a big garage full of crap that I have been collecting and carting around all over the world for 37 years. It's time to go through it and PITCH!!! (Fair warning Children, if there is anything that you REALLY want, you better tell me now!!) So room by room, I anticipate getting everything in order. No excess furniture, no closets full of crap, New paint, clean windows, and maybe even re-arrange the room functions. Then there are the crafts that I have, in boxes, closets, dressers etc. I intend to get my projects finished, and organize the extra pieces. I have two quilts to finish, One of which was started by my Mother when she was 9 years old. That would have been in 1931! It WILL be finished!! I also have three afghans to finish, one of which was started by my mother, added to by my daughter, and hopefully be finished by me. (as you can tell, finishing projects does NOT run in our family!)

When that is all done, I am going to get the baseboards and transition strips installed on my new floor, paint the rest of the trim on the outside of the house.(yep, another unfinished project) get the yard in order, buy my wish list from Amazon.com, and read, plant a garden, can the results, and with all my SPARE time, .......

Nope, won't be bored for a while...

Oh yeah, and I want to take up scrapbooking. (another project to leave undone?) I would like to make a scrapbook for both Donna and Tim. something that when I am gone, they will have to show a record of their life and their history. I decided this after my Father died, and my sister and I got to talking, and I discovered that even though she and I lived through the very same experiences, we have TOTALLY different memories of the same events. I found that odd, and there is no one to ask who is right. So if I make this scrapbook, and detail the event and what they meant to ME, maybe my Children will have some sense of continuity with their own memories. Who knows, I may get dementia and forget everything.

No comments: