Thursday, December 25, 2003

A piteous plea....

Surfing around the blogsphere I ran into Marian Banjes Who was putting out a piteous plea for Christmas Cards. It was meant to be funny, and it was. I just happened to be filling out my Christmas Cards for the first time in over 30 years, and understood completely where she was coming from. My lack of time caused me to discontinue sending out the yearly greetings to my friends, because My mother said that you MUST WRITE A NOTE IN YOUR OWN HAND in each and every one. I barely had time to shop much less hand write christmas cards. Because of this, my received cards got to be a smaller and smaller grouping on the door. I used to have enough to make a full tree out of them on the back of the door, all over lapping. Last year I got two! THis year I had decided I was gonna sit down and shock the hell out of those friends whose addresses I still had. I even sent one to a cousin who is (was?) my mothers age. It was a feeling of fulfillment. Yes I got quite a few this year, mostly because they now had my correct address. And some were sent after they got mine. Sort of an after thought. I dont care! I am hoping that next year They are returned three-fold!!

Anyway, I sent poor Marian a card. She got it, and actually wrote a blog about it!!! I was surprised!! Even has a picture of the very card I sent her! There is something so wonderful about making someone happy with something so insignificant as a CARD! Not an e-card either, although they at least let the recipient know you are thinking of them. I like to receive CARDS! cards you can stick on the refer door and look at every day. Cards that show you this person was actually thinking enough of you to go buy and send a card to you.

Now Marian is not a poor soul to be pitied, she is a sucessful Woman living on an Island off the coast of Canada, who just happened to write a funny entry about wishing any and every body would send her a card. I did! I made a new friend! Funny how that works...

ADDENDUM!!!!!

Several of you said you could not find her post on this. It was in December archives...but here it is straight from Marian Bantjes' site

If anyone would like to send me a christmas/hanukka/new-year's card, my address is:

box x-15
bowen island, bc
v0n 1g0
canada

I've always been a big old grinch and as a result, every year I wander sadly outside looking through the windows of people who have christmas cards strung on strings across their windows, propped on their mantlepieces or tucked into their venetian blinds, and I go home to my one and only card from my mum, who loves me.

Is it my fault? Yes it frickin' is, because I never send cards which is why I have to go publicly on the internet and beg for them like a dog!

But this year, I will be sending cards, so if you'd like to get one from me and you don't think I have your address, just drop me an email ... mb at quatrifolio (dot com), and I'll send you one. I promise.

And if you're going to send one to me, don't tell me, I like surprises. Though of course this means I'll be pathetically checking my mailbox in anticipation for the next 4 weeks.

No comments: