Saturday, August 02, 2003

I was wool gathering on my way to work Friday morning. I drove without seeing, paying attention to the road, but not seeing what was around me. Half way to Oak Harbor, I woke up, and realized what I was doing. That was sooooo unlike me. I am usually the one who notices the deer standing in the fields, the coyotes hiding in the corn, The birds, The level of the lakes etc. Once I realized that I was ignoring that around me, I again started looking. Every thing is soooo dry this month. Absolutely no rain in July. IN WASHINGTON!!! Dry!!! Anyway, I looked out across Hastie lake and noticed that the fence posts that march right across the middle of the shallow lake were almost on high ground. THe lake is that low. On one of the posts half way across the lake I caught a glimpse of white, and looked again. It was a bald eagle just sitting there. Staring out across the Lake. How many other cars have driven by that location? How many other drivers were not looking at what they were passing? How many others missed the opportunity to say that they saw a bald eagle sitting on a post in the middle of a lake? Maybe the Bald Eagle isn't a threatened species. Maybe people just haven't seen them because they weren't looking?...hmmm

I was reading one of my favorite Blogs this morning, and Colin mentioned that he was relaxing by spiting a bucket of kindling. Reminded me that I have a living room closet full of dry cedar shingles, that have been sitting there waiting for a nice relaxing day to split them. That day just might be today...can't think of anything better!

No comments: