Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Well I hope I didn't ruin the Wisteria. My neighbor is getting tired of it trying to take over his gutters, and I agree that it has grown out of hand. It is a real mess this time of the year. Winter it is a great spot for the chickadees to eat their sunflower seeds; Spring it is just gorgeous with its grape cluster like flowers, and oh the aroma!!! and then the leaves come out and it is a fabulous spot for the squirrels and the birds to play hide and seek in. But Fall? A ROYAL PAIN. THe vines are really trying to take over the world. they have to be cut back. So This weekend, I went out armed with my lopers and gloves and started chopping away. The roots have spread out just under the grass and starting to grow way out in the middle of the yard. The real challenge here was finding out which root it was, and cut it at the source. Whoo what a mess. I just decided to go under and cut off all roots that looked like they were heading North, East or West and see what happens. I might just end up with the very small original plant. I doubt it. It has been growing for 10 years, and I don't think anything would kill it. Guess We'll see come next spring.

My Zuccini plants have taken off like a rocket!! I was very concerned that the rabbits had killed all hopes of zuccini this year. I planted 8 plants, and now I think I may have over done it. I have quite a few baby zukes growing. Zuccini bread this fall!!! yeay!!!

Today I had planned on transplanting the Iris corms that I got from the farmer down the road. He had big tubs of corms sitting on the side of the orad signed FREE, so I grabbed a ton of them. So I need to get them in the ground before they die. I think I will put them at the end of the deck, to cover the ugly underside. I know they will take over the yard if I am not careful, but that would just be less lawn to mow.

I went ahead and picked all the peaches off the tree, as they were ripe on one side and rock hard on the other. Last year they rotted on the green side before they ever got ripe. We tasted one of them and they were good, so I picked the tree, and hope that they will ripen on the counter. I made jam out of the ripe ones , and it is really good!!

Albertson's has tree ripe peaches on sale for 1.00 a pound, I think I will go get some and can them. I love peaches. In all my spare time, I can do this. I think I will recruit Bob to help. Hmmm what a good idea...

No comments: