Friday, January 21, 2005

Sushi!!!!!


Dinner

Bob felt sorry for me because my weekend plans were ruined, so he took me out to dinner. We have a Japanese restaurant here in town that we always forget about, and they serve the best SUSHI! Yum! SO I ordered a spicy Tuna roll, and Bob ordered a Sashimi appetizer, and then We each ordered a special. He had Sukiyaki and I had a combo. Sashimi, tempura, bbq beef, and miso. OH I AM SO FULL!!!!

I Love Sushi. When I was a young girl we lived in Honolulu, right in the middle of the Japanese settlement on the side of Punchbowl. I had a girlfriend whose Parents came from Japan before the war. She brought Sushi rice to school for lunch, and I was given one of the rolls, and fell in love!! Her Mom thought it was so cool that I, a Haoli (White person), would even look at Japanese food much less LIKE it. I would go over to their house, and she would show me how she prepared the rice and seaweed.

One day she asked if I would like to go to the windward side of the island with them and pick the Nori that was used as the wrapper on the rice. My Mom said I could, and off I went. At that time 1956, I was as brown as a berry, from the sun and my hair was pure white. I had baby blue eyes, and really stuck out like a sore thumb in that family of Japanese. They walked out onto the rocks at low tide at Waiamea Bay (long before it was a popular surfing beach) and picked the Nori out of the tide pools. They also would gather the spiney sea urchins and other fresh seafood that was trapped there.

That was my very first introduction into the life of some one other than a true American. Sharon and I eventually drifted apart, as I came back to the states, and I am sure she moved on too. I will always remember her and her family, and the fun we had picking the seaweed, and rolling the rice, and the pungent taste of the saki vinegar and sugar they added to it.

tonight, I sat down and ordered, and they brought the Miso soup. I took one taste of it and giggled. Bob asked what was funny, and I said that the taste of the soup reminded me of the smell of the Kalihi District as I rode the bus through it to Waikiki. He took a taste of his soup and agreed. Raw fish and sticky rice and seaweed...UMMMMMM Nothing better!!! (burp) :)

No comments: