Sunday, January 16, 2005

SMARTIES!! US vs CA

While I was over at Critterchick's Yesterday she mentioned vanilla smarties, and about 1/2 of us knew what she was talking about. You see, As close as we are, and as much as we share between our two borders, we do not have the same products. It turns out HER smarties are made by Nestles's and are chocolate covered, and come in a box.


smarties USA style


OURS are sweet and sour sugar tablets that come in a roll and are prevalent at Halloween. it took ANDIE to tell us that we were thinking about two different products with the same name. Why these companies do this to us I do not know. But I googled (did you know that is a verb now?) smarties candy and got a wonderful page about old fashioned candy, and I spent most of the morning reminiscing about the old candy we used to eat. Milk Duds, BIG HUNKS ( oh those were soooo good, and so chewy that one bite would last a whole two times around the roller rink. We would put our shoes right over the edge of the seating area, so we could skate around and reach over and grab our shoes, which hid the BIG HUNK candy bar that we would grab another bite of and skate around again.

"Smarties memories... When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, I always wished for Smarties in my Halloween bag - and it was very rare that anyone handed them out (those were the days when people could still give you homemade TollHouse cookies and you felt safe eating them!). But when I did get a roll, I remember taking off the wrapping and carefully sorting them by color (I may be one of the few people who can claim that each Smartie color is a different flavor!) The best ones were the ones that were a little powdery - sort of like eating flavored chalk dust. Purple (grape) was my favorite, followed closely by pink and white - naturally most rolls didn't have but one purple one, so I always saved that for last.

Now that you can buy Smarties in the grocery store, I have to confess that I have (more than once) eaten an entire bag at one sitting - and have never ever regretted the huge sore on the end of my tongue from eating so many at once! I don't know exactly why they're my favorite - their flavor and their texture and their tininess all have something to do with it - but they are the BEST! ~ Martha from Pennsylvania
More memories... As a young boy when I would go trick or treating I would always hope that those old folks would throw some Smarties in my little pumpkin bucket. After returning to my home me and my brother named Slish would sort through our candy looking for all of the Smarties. We would than make up games to play with them like checkers for example. The winner would win all the Smarties on occasion there would be fist fights over the Smarties. I mean they do provide I new sense of intelligence for me. Slish later died and Smarties provide me with good time memories. ~ Kyle from Pennsylvania"

Check out this site and see how many candy bars YOU remember!






No comments: