Tuesday, January 04, 2005

OH NO!!!

IT is time to MOVE!!! As you all know I was raised as a dependent of a career US NAVY member. One of the things we always had to deal with was Military Orders. We generally knew that we would be moving every two years or so, and would be ready to do so.

Every so often, we would get a set of orders that came before the 2 years was up. This was usually just proceeded by my Mother running out of Pepper!


pepper

don't ask why this was an indicator, but it was. We were not allowed a lot of personal effects, and spices was something that we had to replenish every time we did move. We were allowed an express shipment that would usually travel on the same ship with us, and was composed of items that we would need to set up housekeeping and survive until the rest of our household gear arrived. This was about 6 months down the line. (slow boats) Mom always had Salt and Pepper in the kit, along with Dad's bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce. He had to have it on Everything!!!!

It got to be a big joke, that Dad would put Soy Sauce in his cereal in the morning. He did not really but his "bug juice" as he called it was always on the table with the salt and pepper.

When ever Mom would use the last of the pepper can, she would shake her head and state, "well it must be time to move again, we are out of pepper!" Dad got smart and started buying the bigger boxes of pepper.

When I moved with my husband, I always made sure I bought the BIG box of pepper, so I would not have to move for awhile. I have been in this house for 4 years this time, and wouldn't you know, I RAN OUT OF PEPPER!!!

I laughed and said that I was gonna be the one who broke the curse. I certainly hope so, I have put too much work into this house to have to move from it now. Oh wait! I might have won the lotto!! Maybe I'm RICH? That would be a move I would not mind.

No comments: