Sunday, November 28, 2004

Hot Turkey Sandwiches...

I was contemplating how I was going to have my two meals of turkey today, as I have been having turkey sandwiches for lunch and heated up left overs for dinner. I pulled everything out of the fridge and looked at it and thought...HOT TURKEY SANDWICHES! I have not had one in 45 years or so!!!

We lived in San Diego, California when I was little, and every so often Mom would take me shopping with her. I remember getting dressed up. she always wore a dress back then. When we would get off the bus we would walk several blocks up the street to the store, and then when we got hungry, We would walk down the street to Kresge's Dime store. We would walk in through the big double doors and past the wooden Bunkers that held the merchandise. a five and dime I think it was called, because everything in it ended in a five or a zero. ANyway, we would walk clear through the store to the very back where the Lunch counter was. We would walk into the area, and scootch up to the high round stools at the counter.

This counter had a metal hook under it for you to hang your shopping bags on. I always thought that was really cool. THe waitress, dressed in a mint green dress with a crisp white apron and pointy hat, and white shoes would bring us the menu. There was a child menu for the children, that could be used as a mask, and of course the big adult menu. The childrens menu had really neat stuff like PB&J sandwiches, and grilled cheese, and cocoa.

Mom had a Hot turkey sandwich, and I did too. They were on bread, with mayonaise spread on them, and then turkey then hot gravy. The pieces of bread were cut diagnolly and placed on either side of the scoop of mashed potatoes and gravy. It was always so good. I think they were .15 cents each. (Shush! :( ) I would eat mine all gone and Mom would ask if I wanted a soda, I took a small green river. That for you un educated, is green lime syrup mixed with soda water. GOOD STUFF!
I drank my green river, and then Mom would leave anickel on the table for a tip and we would get down off the stool, and head back to the bus stop.

This memory has been hiding in the back of my mind for all these years, and never surfaced until today. As I took the first bite of the bread and gravy this came flooding back as fresh and new as if it happened just yesterday. It was a really good memory. It also was a really good Hot turkey Sandwich!! only I did not have the mashed potatoes today, just another piece of bread.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

No comments: