Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving !

When my Kids were little, we were stationed away from family and could never make it home for the Holidays. So we made our own.

One Halloween of 1976, Donna went dressed as Martha Washington, complete with curl cap and apron. Keeping with the bicentennial ya know!

That year Tim also made an Indian vest out of a large grocery sack, and colored it all different colors. He had cut the bottom to look like fringe, and he cut arm holes and head holes and cut it up the front so he could wear it.

Jim was home from a Carrier Qualification, and we were living in Navy Housing in Alameda, and naturally I had to work late on Wednesday night getting ready for the Day After Thanksgiving Sale at the Navy Exchange. I got home late, and then had to stay up baking cornbread for the stuffing, and prepping the Bird for the oven. Dinner naturally had to be set around a football game. Or two, or three, As Jim lived for Sports!

I finally got the table ready and the dinner on the table. We all were called to come in and eat, and in walked my Kids with their costumes on from Halloween. Donna in her Martha Washington outfit, and Tim in his Indian Vest. I took pictures, but for the life of me I don’t know where they are. I will always remember that Thanksgiving as one of our more memorable ones. Far away from family and friends, but making our own memories. Some thing to be really Thankful for.

I am hoping that all of your memories are being made as memorable and happy ones this Thanksgiving Holiday. And all of you Foreigners out there too. Make good memories, and have a good Thursday wherever you are.

AND DRIVE SAFE!!!


No comments: