Saturday, August 14, 2004

Saturday Morning

I felt a little better yesterday so I headed to Albertson's to buy groceries. Half way through the store, my back started seizing on me, and sent shooting pains down both legs, and my lower back! ARRGGHH! I made it home, and basically laid flat on the couch on my stomach for the rest of the day. If they can sent an explorer to Mars, why cant they fix a back that goes out? (with minimal costs of course)

There were several comments in my last post about Pickled Peaches. They are not as gross as they sound, It is an old recipe and some times is called spiced peaches. My Aunt Dutch used to make them, and my Mother would hoard them when she got a jar or two from her. Mom never did much canning, but Donna resurected the memory several years ago, and I have been looking for a recipe ever since.

It is basically water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon sticks, ginger, whole cloves, whole allspice and peaches. You heat the ingredients add the peaches, let them sit over night, then heat them back again and can them! OH SO GOOD!!!!! My peaches are not the best in the world, and are bruised because the tree split down the middle because of the weight of the fruit, so I picked them semi ripe. If you had nice big peaches, you could stick some cloves in them first.

I am a nut for different recipes, and I love to can! I have a table full of green peaches, that I have to figure out what to do with, so if any body has any good ideas, let me know. I was trying to save the tree, not the peaches, so if I lose them, Im ok. The root stock is still good, and I can trim it back and it should recover.

Whoops! Olympics are on, gotta go channel hop!! CBUT out of Canada has them on real time, and usually has better coverage overall than NBC does, so I switch back and forth. I like to know about ALL of the athelets not just the US ones, Although they are who I "root" for.

Be back later...

No comments: