Sunday, August 22, 2004

Island County Fair

Every year at this time, the county fairs start making their appearance. Each County has it's own flavor of fair, depending on whether or not the county is rural or urban. Ours is VERY RURAL! IT is held in the same town, on the south end of the Island. Langley, and the town is far too small for the Fair! NO PARKING! August is usually very Hot and dry and this year was no exception except for this weekend! IT POURED!! AND POURED!! AND POURED some more! I have not seen it rain that hard in years! I wanted to go on Saturday because the headliner on the Promenade was Juice Newton, and I adore her!




I talked Bob into going with me, but told him that I was going whether he did or not. We went to see the 500 show. We found a parking place right directly across from the gate, which is a FIND! There were cars parked a mile away on the side of the road. I told him if we could not get closer then we were gonna have to drop me at the gate, and he could walk the mile up and back.

Now mind you as I stated above, IT WAS RAINING! We had our umbrellas but it didn't do much good, as the rain was coming down so hard and the wind was blowing. The GOOD thing about this was it kept people away! The exhibits were visible and it was rather pleasant walking around soaked to the skin.



We saw the chickens and the 4-H cats and dogs and rabbits, and hogs, and then went in to the barns to see the sewing and food and photography. Now folks you have to realize that this is Island County in Washington State, and Not the usual big Mid-western type Fairs. There were about 10 hogs, maybe 5 cats and 100 bunnies and chickens. 2 turkeys, 10 pidgeons and doves and about 8 ducks. THAT IS IT!!



As we made our way down to the main stage area where the show would be held, I spotted the Cotton Candy booth. I only like cotton candy freshly spun, on a white paper cone and preferably BLUE although I will take pink if I have to. I get up there and there was NO one in line. NO one. I ask for the cotton candy and he reaches under the counter and opens a cardboard case and pulls out a bag of cotton candy that is all mooshed together. I looked at him and said no thanks. I walked on down the food mall, and there was everything you could think of BUT cotton Candy.




A fair with no cotton candy just royally sucks. They had ice cream on a stick, and hot dogs and salmon burgers and corn on the cob dripping with butter and shaved ice cones, and oriental food, and pizza and ribs and chicken and keilbasa but no cotton candy!!! I was bummed. I found Bob at the kielbasa stand and he asked if I wanted one, nope says I and then my stomach said oh yeah you do. So I took his and he ordered another. It was awesome. Big juicy kielbasa smothered in grilled Onions and drenched in mustard, on a nice soft bun. AHHHHHH!!! Good stuff Maynard!!!




I took it and headed to the bleachers to get a seat for the show. No one was sitting on them as they wee soaked! AH well we were too, so I went all the way to the top where I could rest my back against the building and just plopped my ass in the puddles, and settled in.




Juice Newton came on and sang for an hour! Short show, but it was free, so I cant complain. She sang a majority of her old grammy winning songs, and some of her newer ones too. It makes you wonder why someone that was as big as she once was and as good as she is would be working a tiny little fair like ours? I was thrilled though because I love her music, and thought I would never get a chance to see her in person. My favorite album of hers is QUIET LIES. I have literally almost worn the tape out and there are no CDs of it out there. I have one other CD of hers, and when I go on a roadtrip by myself, in goes juice at full blast and I sing my ass off!! I'm good too!

We walked out of the fair after the show feeling really good, good food, good music and soaked to the skin, but knowing that we had a great time, and we really needed the rain.

No comments: