Saturday, August 14, 2004

Saturday Barn Dance

Every year during the Coupeville Arts and crafts festival, the Sundays in The Park, Concert on the Cove series, moves to a big old barn on the Ebby's Prairie. This Concert is called Dillingers Clambake, and let me tell you folks, it is HOT!!!

I took pictures, but they turned out pretty dark, but I will post them anyway.



This is a jazz group of 6 old men about my age, a drum set, trombone, trumpet,guitar,and Sax and a bass. The audience was all old! and when I say old, I mean older than ME! All with purple hair and the guys had baggy pants and suspenders. The barn is cleaned so that there is a concrete floor for dancing and then there are hay bales stacked all around the edges, for seating. As soon as the lights went down, the Christmas icicle lights came on, and they had them hanging everywhere! The first note had not hit the back of the barn yet when the old men were asking the purple hairs to dance, and brother dance they did! They started and did not stop. It was WOnderful to watch folks that age kicking up their heels and enjoying themselves. At intermission, the youger crowd was starting to arrive, and it was a hoot watching these teenagers out there on the floor trying to mimic the energy and the moves that the old folks were showing. It was so much fun to watch the interface between the oldest generation and the younger generation.



About this time, a young child about 18 months went running out to the floor and was dancing and waving her arms with her Daddy right behind her. Who says there is such a thing as a generation gap? the single women were dancing with each other, the old men were having fun dancing with the younger women, and the rest of us were just sitting around tapping our feet and clapping.

I enjoyed it immensely!! Bob does not dance at all, and with me back, I did not think I should either.

I miss the days of dancing, when all the people danced whether they really knew how or not.

What has happened to this society that they dont have barn dances, or parking lot dances, or gym dances once a month or so? I know they would be attended, May not make a lot of money, but that is not the point, it is the intermingling of the generations, letting each know that the other can have good clean fun.

Bob had spent the day splitting wood, so we had to leave early, and the old men with suspenders and the purple hairs were still kicking up their heels. I LOVED it!

No comments: