Saturday, August 21, 2004

The ISLAND is FULL!!!

Yesterday I had to run into Mt Vernon to Costco, and We left around 3:00. Now to set the scene right, I live 1/2 way down the island which is about 60 miles from Mt Vernon. I have to drive up the Island past Oak Harbor to Deception Pass Bridge. Cross the Bridge to Fidalgo Island, drive across that Island to the Swinomish Bridge to the mainland and then across the Skagit River Flats to the CITY!! This is really two cities, which have merged together through all of the malls along the Interstate. There is almost nothing there that you cant find. Except for a good bookstore! They really need a Barnes and Noble or a Borders books, and then they will be complete.

As we crossed the Bridge (we call the Deception Pass THE BRIDGE) we noticed a line of traffic coming onto the Island. Not all that unusual on a Friday afternoon. AS we drove the ten miles across Fidalgo, and got to Sharpes Corner, where Hiway 20 splits and comes on to the Island or goes straight into Anacortes to the Ferry Landing to the San Juan Islands and Canada. Our 1/2 of the hiway makes a left turn onto the Island, and there is a 4 way stoplight there. As we turned Right to go over to the flats, we looked at the left turn lane. It was FULL! The line went all the way to the end of it's turn out, and then continued on along the shoulder of the road for another mile through another light and up the hill!!! We were Shocked!!! I have only seen it that bad once, and that was when the Base had an open house and the Blues were flying. I rolled down my window and yelled "GO BACK!!!THE ISLAND IS FULL!!!!" People laughed at me, and Bob shook his head.

I wonder if Islands can sink? If Greenland can be pushed 1 mile down by the weight of the Ice, couldn't islands be pushed down by the weight of the people and the cars?

Just a thought....


JUICE NEWTON tonite at the Island County fair....WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT!!!! I LOVE JUICE!!! Great road trip music....Plug in her CD and SING YOUR HEART OUT!! I cant wait!!!!! I am making Bob take me, but even if he did not want to go, I would go myself. JUICE NEWTON and COTTON CANDY!!! Doesn't get much better than that!

No comments: