Sunday, May 23, 2004

Voices from the past...

While going through an old box of pictures, I found this book. It is a book of sayings, poems, and quotes that my Mother liked. She was always writing things down. I thought it was kind of prophetic considering the state of the world right now.

WHEN

When the roar of the bursting bombs has ceased,
When the world from fear has been released,
When the imposing might of allied arms
Delivers the world from brutal harms---
Will there then be peace?

When the hum of the airplane is no more feared,
When the pledge of the Statesman can be revered,
When the ships and men are once more free
to ply the waters of ocean and sea---
Will there then be peace?

When the blacked-out cities turn on their lights,
When nations recognize human rights,
When men make plowshares of their swords,
to free humanity and the starving hoards---
Will there then be peace?

When silence the whiz of shot and shell,
When ended the horror of battle hell,
When Lads and Lassies come back home
And never more the old world roam---
Will there then be peace?

When Banished hate and ruled by love,
When all men serve their God above,
When men serve the common brotherhood
Forgetting self for their neighbors good---
THEN there will be Peace?

Chaplain Charles E. Lunn
U.S.Navy
Honolulu, T.H.
March 4, 1945


As you can tell by the date, this was written during WWII, I have no idea how my mother found it, but it was written in the Territory of Hawaii, and at the time my mother was a young Navy Wife in San Diego. She wrote quotes and poems in all kinds of tablets and books, She was such a literary fan. I am glad I found this poem. I wish I knew more about the man that wrote it, and where he is now, and how it became a part of my Mother's writings.

Some things you will just never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary Lou -- Hi!

I was doing some research, and found this mention of Charles E. Lunn's poem. Charles E. Lunn was my grandfather. Granddad died in 1995, but we were very close. Granddad was a prolific writer. Poems, songs, hymns, devotional material, and one book -- Pilot to the Sky; about his chaplaincy experiences in WWII.

His wife, Frances Lunn, has also passed away. Their three children remain. My mother, my aunt, and my uncle.

Please email me with any questions you have regarding Granddad, and I will gladly answer them.

Debbie Gonzales
GenDebra@sbcglobal.net