Friday, May 28, 2004

A rose is a Rose

With our extremely dry spring and all of our sunshine, the roses are prettier than they have ever been. They are blooming like crazy! and no mildew or black spot yet.

This is an unnamed rose, only because it looks like a Chicago Peace rose, and I did not plant one there. My renters may have, but they removed the tag. IDIOTS.



I have a Princess Diana, and a Tropicana, and a Black Beauty, then a David Austin Gertrude Breuner which is AWESOME! So many roses that it is now laying on the ground because the blossoms got wet. It has a strong old rose scent and perfumes the whole yard. But the one above has me stumped. I guess I could pretend it is a Chicago Peace because it looks like it so much, and I love them. They have a neon quality to their color that far surpasses the regular Peace rose in it's coloration.

Roses just do not do awfully well here without a lot of chemical help, because it is so wet. They are very prone to black spot and mildew. Aphids are not too much of a problem because we have a ton of Lady bugs who keep them down.

The Nootka, or Wild rose grows very well, as do any of the Rugosa shrub roses, but they bloom and then go away. Hybrid teas and Floribundas flower all summer with lots of Fungicides and fertilizer. Lots of Steer manure too.

No comments: