Tuesday, January 06, 2004

silence....plop.....silence....plop, plop.....

The freezing rain has started. The snow was hanging on the trees like a blanket, and on the roofs like a giant cotton blanket. With the rain, the snow is getting heavier and sliding off the roof and the trees with plops, and drips. Then the wind whooshes through the trees and silence once again until the rain has soaked another patch of snow amply enough to allow it to let go of its hold on another patch of roof and plop noisily to the earth.

I was awake most of the night waiting to see if the snow would really come as predicted or if this was gonna be another bust. We are so used to getting excited over a severe weather advisory and then NOTHING! It started about 5:00 this morning, and by the time I woke up at 845, we had about 4 inches. It was so pretty falling and covering all the grass, and the roads.

My sister posted about how much fun she had today. I too remember having to get up and go in to work, and how much fun people had building tiny snowmen on the garden shop furniture, and car hoods. I even had one put on my desk! I live in a neighborhood where there are no little kids. Most of the people around be either braved it in to work, or stayed in the house all hunkered down!!

I wanted to get out there so bad, but I just KNEW I would fall again, and I don’t think the old knee would survive another crack. I stayed in my flannel Pjs and slippers, and just watched the day progress. I tend to “nest” in my bedroom, sitting at the head of my bed, resting my elbow on the window sill, and drink my coffee watch the area news reporters and watch the birds try to dig through the now 6” of snow to get to the seeds that they know are there.



I had 4 Varied Thrush today, which is really unusual. They are normally not feeder birds. They scratch for bugs. The dove flock was a bit confused, and the Juncos and the chickadees and pine siskins were twittering and cheeping and just gobbling down the Niger seed from the 2 thistle feeders I have out. The House finches knew there was feed in there but they either can not hang up side down or could not figure it out. They sat upright on the perches and pecked at the tube.

I put on my UGGS and took seed out and brushed off the platform feeders and filled them with food. Filled the hanging feeders and refilled the suet feeders.

The best part of the morning was watching Sadie play in it. She saw snow last month but nothing like this. She jumped off the porch, and ran after the birds, jumping and barking and frolicking in the snow. I laughed and laughed at watching her. She was having soooo much fun! I took pictures but she was running through it so fast all she is is a blur. Her ears were flopping and flapping as she ran, her tongue hanging out, and snowballs forming on her feet and belly. She has gotten so good at letting us know that she needs to go outside that I almost forgot to let her back in! When I remembered her I ran to the back door and called for her, she was snuggled under the deck with Lint and the rats.



Sadie and I went in to take a nap, and she actually jumped on the bed all by herself. I did not have the heart to put her in her pen after that achievement, so I let her curl up with me. I sleep on my tummy and as I was settling in for a nap under the electric blanket, a bird chirped right at the window, so up over me Sadie goes, Standing on my back and looking out the window. She thought that was great fun. We played that game for about 15 minutes until she decided that if she put her back feet on my head and her front feet on the sill she could get closer! OK Game over.

I finally settled her down and she and I got about a 45 min nap. I woke up and Oprah was signing off. Bummer. Sadie was still asleep, so I let her while I read.

I called off rehearsal so I just stayed in my pjs the rest of the day. It is now 1100PM and I need to take a shower and change my PJ’s and go read some more. The rain is turning to solid ice on the roads, and I have to convince Donna that she really should stay home one more day. It was so nice not having to worry about her driving in the snow. She kept the fire going all day, and just stayed in nice and warm also.

I would love to see the snow stick around a little longer, but I can’t afford to cancel any more rehearsals. It sure was fun staying home and slugging today though. It is as if the snow had given us permission to be a lazy butt, just for one day…

No comments: