Monday, January 05, 2004

Driving by fields on an Icy evening...

I spent most of today at the Playhouse, finishing the set and starting the light cues. Then we had a full rehearsal for act I. It was the first time that we have run Act I all the way through with songs, music, choreography and blocking. We were still missing one cast member, and that hurt, but We trudged on ahead. OH LORDY there is soooo much to be done between now and opening night. I hope it all comes together. Jesus really needs to work on his lines, he missed the first month of rehearsal, and he is catching up but he still has a long way to go. They were off-book with prompt tonite, so there was a lot of stumbling around. I gave them a reality check tonite and told them that they only had 4 more rehearsals until they filmed the commercial for cable TV. Shocked them. Maybe they will be better prepared for tomorrow's run through of Act II.

I left the playhouse at 945 this evening and as I walked across the frozen parking lot I saw the stars and the moon stuck on the sky like they were lamps, Lighting the way across the dark. I drove on through Oak Harbor and made sure I looked at the time and temperature bank sign. It said 18 but felt much colder. I headed out of town, and started on the way home. Down the highway that is caked in ice in spots...Usually where the sunlight did not reach the asphalt to melt away the snow. Past the frozen hay fields that this time of year are laying fallow. As I looked across one field it struck me just how bright the night was. It was if the sun had not set all the way. It was not an orange light or a purple or a yellow light like the sun would cast, but a bright silvery white light, cast by the almost full moon, reflecting off the snow that is still clinging to the grass. It only snowed about 1/2 inch, but then it turned really cold, so what did fall is now solid ice. With what is expected tomorrow, and Tuesday we should have a good depth.

the road was still very icy in places, so I made sure I drove for the conditions. I could have driven much faster, but kept it at 40 MPH as there were no other cars on the road, and I was enjoying looking out and wondering how many different eyes have seen what I was seeing over the years that the island has been populated. I go off on tangents like that every once in awhile. Thinking that I could be the only human to look at the underside of a rock, or the side of a cliff that has just fallen in. The Eons sometimes speak to me through the nature that I see and love so much.

I do so love the cold and ice. Especially at night when I know that all of MINE are safe and warm. Snuggled down into my bed covers with my nose poking out the window crack sniffing the ice cold air and smelling the frost. It is so clean and refreshing. I can hear the owls hooting far off in the distance and know that they will be over my way in about an hour or so. I also hear the coyotes yipping at the moon, down by the lake, and then the hybrid wolves howling their lonely song into the cold night. I love to listen to them. It is so primeval. I feel like I can hear the generations behind me in their song. I can lay awake for hours just looking out the window at the stars and moon and listening to the ice cracking in the bird bath. I also have heard the sap freezing in the plants and trees.

I have just finished my tea, so now it is time to Crawl into my nice warm bed in my nice cold bedroom and turn my thoughts to more Stellar things. See you in the morning....

No comments: