Thursday, August 17, 2006

August 17, 1967...DONNA!!

39 years ago today I was laying in the labor room of the NAS Whidbey Island Naval Hospital, wondering when I was going to have my baby. I was due July 4th but here it was August 17, and I still had not gone into last stages of labor. I was staying with my Mom and Dad while my husband was on the USS Ranger, in Alameda, California. I needed to have this baby so I could go down and join him and try to make a go of our marriage.

Women came into the labor room, and women left and delivered their babies, but after 3 days, I was still there. Dr. Fairfax finally decided that he would go in and break my membranes and hopefully the baby would come right away. At four PM in the afternoon he took two long bamboo skewers and stuck them up me and popped my embryonic sac. Water whoosed out all over my bed, and the doctor and me and the nurse. It worked though, as within the hour I was in full fledged Hard labor.

You were born at 11:11Pm that evening. THe most beautiful perfect little girl that I had ever seen. Your Grandpa said that you layed there in the baby basinette, naked as a jaybird, with your eyes wide open staring right at him. You were not red, or messy, you were perfect. After all you should have been 6 weeks old by then.
all 7 lbs, 12 oz of you.

You immediately took over the place, and have been doing so ever since. An independent, self sufficient, march to your own drummer beautiful little girl. I am so very thankful you came into my life! I truely believe that you are the reason that I was born. I had to be, so you could be.

I am so very proud to be your Mother, and I am so very proud of you.

I Love You Donna Gayle, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: