Sunday, April 09, 2006

That Pig wasn't meant to be eaten...

Since I live on a fixed income, I try to eat on the cheap when ever possible. Last week while at the local Red Apple Store, I noticed a smoked Ham in the cooler, for only 3.48! TOTAL! Not a pound. TOTAL! I looked at the others in the rack, and they were bigger but cheap too. So I bought the small one, thinking that I could eat off of it for several meals.

I LOVE HAM!!!! I like it cooked, smoked, baked, in sandwiches, by the slice, or in steaks. I just like Ham. It is my favorite meat. I stuck it in the oven, baked it for about 45 minutes, and then glazed it with brown sugar, mustard, and worchestershire sause. YUMMY!!! I stuck it back in the oven for about 15 minutes, and then sat down to eat it. It was all BONE!! I could get a few slices off it, but it was mostly bone and skin. I was PISSED!!!!

Ok, Not all is lost, I will make a pot of split pea soup. I just made a pot of navy beans, so I did not want that again. But I love split pea soup and corn meal muffins. I cooked the ham for several hours in water in the pot, along with a sweet onion, and a lot of garlic. I then added the peas, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, for the peas to get soft but not mushy.

I came in here to check my email, and 30 minutes later, I smelled smoke! I forgot to turn the burner down, and the whole pot is ruined. So I will feed the critters tomorrow, and will try some scrambled egg sandwiches for dinner.

I sure was wanting that soup...damn pig!

No comments: