Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Easter dinner...At last


BEFORE

Easter meant I cook! When I was growing up it was tradition to have ham, and Dad would make a potato salad and a fruit salad. We also had deviled eggs. The Ham was usually one of those Hormel canned hams, put into the casserole dish and covered with a brown sugar and mustard glaze. Sometimes Mom would get fancy and cut diamonds into the ham and place a cherry and a clove into each diamond. It was baked until hot clear through and then we ate. Sometimes, we would have hot cross buns. Those were usually only when we were in the states and close to a bakery that made them. Mom Did not bake from scratch. Most of the time we just had bake and serve rolls.

We would get up and run to Sunday School, and when we got home, the Easter bunny would have been by and left us Easter baskets and hid the eggs. We ran through the house looking for the eggs, unless we lived in Hawaii or California, then we got to go out side and hunt them.

When I took over the tradition of cooking the dinner, I changed it to Lamb. I have no idea why, I just did. This year I roasted a Leg of Lamb, and Phyllis brought roasted asparagus and deviled eggs. Sherry brought Mike, and Donna brought Bill and a sugar free Black berry pie.

Since I said to Mike to have Sherry bring a side dish, and I figured she would not get the word (she was in Florida until Friday night) so I also had Lima beans. I also decided that I would make this really yummy dessert that I saw on Paulas Home Cooking show on Wednesday. It was called Banana Split cake, and it was soooo easy.

Banana Split cake

1 box of graham cracker crumbs
1 stick of butter

blend these together with your fingers, and line a casserole dish with the mixture and bake for 15 minutes at 425. COOL

take
2 sticks butter
1 pound of powdered sugar
2 eggs

Mix thoroughly and pour into cooled crust

drain very well a can of crushed pineapple. Pour on top of mixture
slice 2 bananas and put on top of pineapple
take 1 large box of cool whip and put on top of bananas sprinkle with nuts.

refridgerate

Well I did it differently. I was almost out of butter so I used a pkg of cream cheese in place of 1 stick of butter and it made it sooooo good!!
I also had no canned pineapple so I drained a can of fruit cocktail really well, and used that. I also thought 2 bananas were not enough so I used a whole big hand of them. And two boxes of cool whip.

Oh GOD it was soooo good!!! And everybody ate Donna's sugar-free blackberry pie!
leaving ME to finish the dessert all by myself. I am so tired of it now. And It is gone. FINALLY! I will make it again though.


AFTER

My son in Law Bill came to dinner with Donna, and That is the first time in ten years he has been to my house for dinner. I was honored!! Wow!! I was blessed with his presence. It actually was a very nice day. No arguments, no fights, just good company.

Bill did come in and sit in MY chair. And turned off MY music, and grabbed MY remote and turned on the Mariners game. Donna and I just looked at each other and shook our heads. Whatever it takes to get him here.

Bob was the last to leave around 430, (early dinner, Mike had to work.) and I headed for a nap. I was so tired!! I had gotten up early and cleaned the house, and got the table set. Everything was actually done when everyone got here.

This week I have been getting the light cues set for the show which has it's first audience tomorrow night. Press Night was wonderful and we got a really great write up in the Whidbey News-Times. WHEW!

Now...On to scrapbooking....

1 comment:

Bill said...

secret comment