Friday, September 09, 2005

Fall....?

Yesterday as I was sitting by the open back door of the theater, running the light board, and finishing tech as the press was watching the play. The theater gets really HOT during the summer, so we open everything we can. Suddenly the wind picked up and the big oak trees right outside the door started chattering with their drying up leaves. This gust of wind, blew the driest leaves right off the trees and skittered them right into the playhouse. It felt really good, but there was also a distinct chill in that gust.

I was really concentrating on the show, and the cues I was setting, but back in the back of my mind there was a blog post brewing. As I was setting cues, so Was Mother Nature. She was telling us that the hot dry summer was almost over, that Autumn was most definitely on the way.

I came home from the theater, absolutely fried, But knew that I did not have to go in for two days, so I put on my nightgown, forgoing the nightly ritual of a shower, and just flopped into bed. I usually read for about 2 hours after hitting the bed, but I did not even make it through one chapter. I woke up around 400 with water splashing in my face.

I rolled over and sat up, and looked out the window. It was DUMPING RAIN. I do mean DUMPING! The water was coming down so fast, that it was filling the gutters and spilling over the sides of them in sheets. We don't get rain like that. We get a steady wet mist, all the time. I closed the window down 1/2 way and went back to sleep. I woke up at 615 and peeked out side. It was just starting to get light out, and just the contrast from the Big Cumulus clouds overhead and the clear sky let me know that we had some real weather. Suddenly Ka-BOOM! And a big thunderous rumble came over the house, and then another, getting slower and quieter as it went on it's way east.

This morning when I woke up for good, (well for at least an hour anyway) I looked out back to see what all was wet, and I could just about see through the alders into the bare spaces in the deeper woods. The leaves were falling, and allowing even more light to peek through. I looked at the thermometer and it was sitting at 48. BRRRR. Almost time to drag out that Electric blanket again, and hook it up.


fall

The other night coming home before dark, I noticed that the light from the setting sun was giving off longer shadows and a more golden color to the evenings. I passed a field of straw bales all ready to get put into the barn for stall covering. IT was just stunning. SO I stopped right on Terry Rd and snapped away. It isn't even often that we see bales sitting out in the field after the middle of June.

Soon the full golden Harvest Moon will be making his way over the top of the Mountains. It is usually the first full moon after the autumnal Equinox. I have already spotted Orion, framed in my bedroom window at 557 on August 28Th. Now I know that Fall is almost here. I look forward to Fall every year. There is something so comforting about Autumn to me. It is like coming home. It is a feeling of stocking up the larder and stoking up the fire. Getting ready to Hunker down for the long dark winter that will surely follow fall, as Fall follows summer.

I am at peace. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No comments: