Thursday, September 01, 2005

Caution! Rant ahead....

I have been glued to CNN watching the devastation that Hurricane Katrina delivered to the Gulf Coast. I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard that John and his home were spared. Then I sat glued again, when I heard the dikes were breeched in several places, and sat there watching as the bowl that New Orleans sits in filled up with water.

I was amazed at people that actually decided to stay ON THE BEACH and wait out the storm. I was amazed that they actually thought they would be safe. I was flabbergasted type of devastation that the storm surge handed to Biloxi, and to Mobile.

I was horrified when I heard a commentator crying as she told of people who were hacking their way through the roofs of their flooded attics. I was horrified at the thought of people who would be breathing the little bit of air they had left, because they did not bring anything to chop their way out with. I was horrified when I thought of those people in the superdome, as the toilets filled and overflowed, and the water from the Lake was seeping in under the walls, and filling the field. As people got wet, they moved up higher.

My heart went out to these people because I have lived through tsunami's, hurricanes, typhoons, super wind storms, blizzards, and power outages and know how scary it can be, especially at night.

But what I can not understand is what in the hell happened to the theory of personal accountability? The ability to think for yourself. The ability to plan ahead for your safety and that of your family. The ability to prepare and have on hand the emergency supplies that you would be needing. The ability to have an emergency contingency plan laid out so that should you be separated from your family that you can plan on meeting at another place.

What I can not understand is the selfishness of these people as they break into and STEAL products from undefended stores. What I can not understand is what in the Hell allows them to think that they are entitled to those products? What I can not understand is the greed and the sheer lack of respect for each other that is coming out.

I am appalled at the anarchy that is running rampant. I am appalled at the way people are expecting the GOVERNMENT to be immediately on the scene to help them out of a fix. I am appalled that these people who CHOSE to live in these un safe places are blaming others for their predicament. I am appalled at the fact that people are rioting trying to get to buses to get out of town.

Someone said yesterday that a disaster brings out the best in people, but it also brings out the worse. I am glad that the Mayor finally declared a state of Marshall Law in New Orleans. Hopefully now the looting and stealing will stop.

I can fully understand taking food to feed your family, but I can not understand taking multiple pairs of Nike shoes, even if you are barefooted. Why CASES of them?
What are you going to do With a TV in a flooded town with no power and no place to plug it into? What are you going to do with those armloads of clothes that you had slung over your shoulder? Hang them from the chimney of your house?

I have always been self sufficient, or at least enough so that I could handle most emergencies. I have wood, I have water, I have food, I have sleeping bags and camping equipment and extra fuel to power them. I do not live in an area that has been repeatedly wiped out by natural disasters. I would NOT live in an area like that. (I also know where Phyllis lives, and SHE has EVERYTHING!!!!)

I am hoping that as the week ends that civility will return to those areas. I am hoping that the loss of life isn't as bad as it is being predicted. (although I am afraid that it will be much much worse!) I am hoping that disease will not take hold in this bio-mess of sludge and human waste, and decaying bodies, animal and human. I am hoping that life will get back to some sense of order soon so that the 3 million plus people in the affected area can get their lives back.

Ok Rant over....I just had to get it out....

****************************Play update********************************

We had 1/2 of our cast out last night for one reason or another, so we worked on problem areas with the three that I did have. I went in at noon and painted on the set, and worked on the lighting. This weekend I will have the set finished, and the baseboards and trim up and the lights refocused. Next week we film the commercial and have our first dress rehearsal. I will be taking lots of pictures, so as soon as I have them, I will post them. 15 days until we open...

No comments: