Sunday, May 01, 2005

A Poop story for Ellen...


fishin'

On a lazy afternoon in the spring, or for that fact a lazy morning too, a really great place to go enjoy the outdoors is Cranberry Lake, in Deception Pass State Park. They have a fishing dock that stretches about 200 feet along the lake, and people from all walks of life come down on their time off and fish. Now most of the time no one catches anything, but fishing doesn't always mean catching fish.

You load up your cooler, grab your kid and your dog and head for the dock. I always had a low fishing chair (sand chair) that I used, and I would sit there and drown baby marshmallows. Tim and Freckles,our dog would be right on either side of me. I always carried plastic sandwich bags in my tackle box, to pick up doggie do. You would put your hand in one, pick up the poop, then turn the bag inside out taking it off your hand, and VOILA! Contained, no smell poop carrier. Works really good too.

Usually Freckles would let us know she had to go , so we could take her to the grassy area up the hill, but this time she did not, and pooped right on the dock, right beside my chair. Being the non-plused person that I can be, I got the sandwich bag out and picked up the poop, and laid it right beside my tackle box so I could dispose of it later.

with the number of people on the dock that day, (LOTS of men and boys) and dogs, there was a lot of moving around, and Freckles' leash caught the baggie of poop, and swished it over the side of the dock. I saw it go in, and it sank, so I just left it. I did notice that it was bobbing back up towards the top, but the weight of the poop, overcame the air in the bag, and it floated about 2 feet under the surface of the lake. I kept on fishing and forgot about it.

About 30 minutes later, a little boy down the dock yelled DAD, look I CAUGHT one. And he started reeling in his fish. I heard his Dad say, don't touch it, leave it alone, and he threw the "fish" back into the lake. Where another little boy caught it, and yelled DAD I Caught one, only to have Dad yell back YUCK! It's Dog Sh--!! and throw it back in. All along the dock, the baggie was caught, reeled in and returned to the lake for another catch, all this time bobbing along 2 feet under the
surface.

I, to this day, think of the joy that baggie of poop gave to several little boys as they reeled in their "fish" and then released it back in the wild. I know they probably tell this story to their little boys also.

Kinda gives a new meaning to "catch and Release"......

No comments: