Sunday, May 22, 2005

Friendship...

One of the things I have envied about my Sister is her ability to make and KEEP friends. Long time friends. Of course she only moved away from here for a short time, and was back. I was gone over 20 years! That has a tendency to get in the way of maintaining a friendship. Now I did hear from friends at Christmas time for awhile, but being in Retail, I hardly had time for MY family, much less writing Christmas Cards to friends. One by one they dropped me off their list, and I never heard from them again.

Today, I discovered the meaning of friendship all over again. I have been 'friends' with BLOGEOISfor over a year, and have always wanted to meet her, as we live in the same state, and read some of the same blogs. She however lives at the Oregon Border, and I live at the Canadian border, some 6 hours apart. Not close enough to get together for Coffee.

Blogeois is the owner of a really pretty car, and shows it at car shows around the region. She has won trophies showing her car, and today, the car show was in Anacortes, just 45 miles from my house. So I thought here is my chance to meet her. I told her I would be there early as I had playhouse stuff to do in the afternoon.

My Daughter, bless her pointed little head.., closed my bedroom door and let me sleep for a change. On the ONE day I was counting on Tilly to wake me at her usual 600 AM. So I slept in a bit longer than I wanted. Ran to Anacortes to meet a ferry with Tim on it...Missed it, so still no Son. Then ran down to the Waterfront where the car show was being held. Her car is black, and I knew the year, and the make, so I thought...hey no problem. How many black cars can there be? HEHEHEHEH LOTS!!

I finally found one that was the right year, and I recognized the last name, so I, being the smart person that I am, deduced that this was the one!! But no Blogeois!! :( I asked the lady at the next car if she knows where the owner went, and she was expecting me. So we went walking looking for a lady I had never seen, wearing a black sweatshirt and jeans with reddish hair. LOTS of those too. We went back to the car And We waited a while longer, then Linda said she would run and see if she could find her.

After about 15 minutes I looked up and Blogeois ran up to me with tears in her eyes, so very glad to see me. BIG HUGS, and laughter. She is a doll!! Both inside and out! And I felt like I had just found a long lost friend!! We yakked for about an hour, and I was late getting to the playhouse, so we hugged goodbye about fourteen times again, and I left. Left knowing that I had made a friend again! One I know a lot about through our blogs. One that was tickled Pink to meet me, and me her! It was a great feeling.

I did my thing at the playhouse, then went to pick up Barbara and take her to dinner. I have owed her a dinner for several months, but we could just never get together.


Barbara

Tonight we did, and talked over old times and new times, and Kids, and her grandkids, I have only grandpuppies, and the death of her husband. I knew she needed to let down and just talk, so I let her, and she confided in me that she has had several bouts of WAILING when alone, that no one knew about. Having been there myself, I did know what she was going through, and told her it would get better, but that it would still hit at the most unexpected times, and usually over something very minor, but would trigger the emotion, and she said YES! It does! SO we talked, and she teared up a bit, but I think It was cathartic for her to be able to put down the brave front and let someone else in this world know that she is not always as brave as she appears. THAT is what a good friend is for. One who doesn't judge you for what you consider your failings, but who will listen, understand and offer words of consolation, if needed. LIFE LONG FRIENDS. We have known each other for over 42 years, and We both made a promise that we would not lose touch again. I intend to keep my promise, as friends both Old ones and New ones are a gift. A gift that should never be put in a closet and forgotten about.

I am glad I have Blogeois and Barbara in my life right now. I feel good.

No comments: