Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A winter's Solstice...




tonight is the longest night of the year. It did not get light until after 800 and it was getting dark at 400 PM I LOVE this time of year. Especially driving through the empty fields, and seeing the flocks of winter birds flying low looking for any little bit of grain or bug that they can.

the doves were all lined up on Lea's side of the yard, this morning, all puffy and waiting for the feeder to empty out of the squirrels so they could get in and eat their fill. Once I let Sadie out, the squirrels were gone and so were the doves. But Sadie did not stay out as it was raining and windy, so she wanted back in with Mommie.

I had 3 types of woodpeckers at the suet blocks this morning, Harry the Hairy woodpecker, Mort and Morticia the downy woodpeckers and the Western Flicker. The chickadees and the Juncos were all flocking, and out front the Ravens were after the rotting turkey meat that I found in the back of the fridge.

My tooth was still a little sore, so I only had cornbread and milk. I finally got the fruitcakes made, and I ended up taking a combination of three different ones, and hope they turn out. I used Mrs. Maus's fruitcake recipe, and Mary's Southern Recipe, and a little of Cal's. The basic one was From Esther, and her daughter in laws mothers recipe. It is turning out pretty good, but I had to guess at the time and temperature, as Esther forgot that part!! ;) It smells really good right now, so I turned off the oven and will just let it slowly cool down, then I will make a mixture of rum and Peach Jam and glaze them with that. Oughta be really good.
I do not like the green stuff in fruit cake, so I only put in things I like. It's my house I can do that!

As I was stirring the very stiff batter, I of course HAD to taste it. And I forgot and bit down on a nut! SO my not so much hurting tooth is now giving me a fit, so as soon as the cakes come out of the oven, I will take another pain pill and head for the bed room. It had not hurt very much at all today, but I goofed and should not have chewed on that side quite yet.

I am recording the Mormon Tabernacle choir Christmas concert, followed by St Olaf's College Choir. They are both exceptional groups, and the St Olaf's Choir is world reknown in it's own right. It is a given that the Mormon Tabernacle would be, but they are paid performers, and the college Choir is not. I so wish I had continued on with my music training.

marts apprentice is coming on so time to go watch that. Enjoy the Long night ya'll.

No comments: