Thursday, December 15, 2005

Adak National Forest At Christmas...


adak

Imagine an entire forest lighted with the dazzle and joy of a family Christmas tree. Stringing miles of colored lights from top to bottom and hither and yon--what a chore that would be! Accomplishing such a feat would take all of Santa's elves working at warp speed--or an incredibly small forest.

Luckily for the Kiwanis Club elves of Adak Island, the Adak "National Forest" is small--33 trees all told. It's so small the entrance sign reads, "You are now entering and leaving Adak National Forest." This tiny cluster of Sitka spruce surely comprise America's smallest forest. A leisurely walker can circumnavigate the entire forest in less than a minute.

Like a deserted island surrounded by water, the Adak forest disrupts the monotony of the open tundra. It nestles on an east-facing slope just inland from the frothy Bering Sea. On a clear day, you can view the forest with Mount Moffett as a backdrop. Moffett and the miniature forest are a couple of the prominent landmarks of Adak.

Adak is located about 1,200 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska, in the stepping-stone chain of islands known as the Aleutians. Due to its extreme western location, Adak played a strategic role in the outcome of World War II. Its proximity to Kiska and Attu (which the Japanese occupied early in the war) provided U.S. forces with an outpost from which to attack the Japanese. The military stronghold on Adak also protected North Pacific sea lanes, Alaska territory, and the Pacific Northwest.

The historical journals are sketchy, but most likely the Adak Forest trees were planted as a morale booster sometime in 1944. Perhaps thousands of spruce were planted throughout the Aleutians in the 1940s, but today the Adak Forest is the only significant result. After 49 years, the trees are seven to 15 feet tall and six to seven inches in diameter. By contrast, in Southeast Alaska, near the heart of this tree's natural range, an average 50-year-old Sitka spruce will be 80 to 90 feet in height and 15 to 20 inches in diameter.

Although the Aleutian Islands are not conductive to growing large trees, the small size of the Adak Forest enables Adakians to put a special spin on their Christmas tradition. Bob Akens, a 13-year island resident and member of the Kiwanis Club, said, "We light up the whole forest as a community service. Everyone here is a way from their real home at Christmas so this brings a little bit of hometown spirit to Adak.

by Lon Lauber

I spent 18 months on The Island, and it is what the author of the above report says...Bitterly Beautiful. As Store Manager, I got to know Lon, because he was the best photographer of Adak scenery on the Island. He had a small Cottage business that he ran out of his home.

The Adak National Forest is very unique, it is small, and during the Holidays, it is beautiful! Especially after a good snow fall. My Father was stationed there right after the war, in fact he was stationed there when he got the cable telling him that I had been born. No wonder I had a pull to go there. It was terribly lonely, and I am not a loner, but I would not change my tour there for anything.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cousin Don Clark was based on Adak in the late 40s with USAF monitoring USSR aircraft ops as part of the DEW Line. He was there when the Adak National Forest was planted by himself and a USAF pilot and others. The pilot had flown the 1 ft. high seedlings from somewhere (unknown to me). They made the original sign; long since replaces with a fancy one. Don is a retired Ohio business executive but he has lots of photos of their "forestry efforts."

Unknown said...

I would like Don Clark or Paul Mudge to make a comment -- I grew up being told that my parents and their friends planted Adak National Forest in the late 50's. The story is that these were their "Christmas Trees" and one of them who was handy with woodworking made the original sign (I have a photo). My father was USAF Loyal Mont Whittaker, also known as Bob Whittaker. I believe he was a lieutenant at the time. He died of brain cancer in 1980 and we know that he was observing atmostpheric nuclear testing. My brothers and I would like to know anything more about Adak.

Anonymous said...

The "True" story behind the Adak National Forest is this - (Please spread the word):
During WWII's Aleutian Campaign,
Major General Simon B. Buckner, the
Commanding General of the Alaska Defense Command (ADC), who had his advanced base on Adak, ordered the 33 trees planted between 1942-44 to boost the morale of the soldiers stationed on Adak. Due to the soil conditions of these volcanic islands, the trees neither grow nor die.
I also, was stationed on Adak between 1965 and 66 and "The birthplace of the winds" and "logging chains being used for
wind socks" was originated by Bob
Reeve of Reeve Aleutian Airways and
fellow Alaskan Bush pilots long before the stories started among
and military personnel and their dependents ever heard of Adak.

Anonymous said...

I was on Adak from 1968-1977 (graduated from Adak High in 1975). I am searching for former Adakians living in Washington State. We are meeting for lunch every 2 months. Our next lunch is in July. If anyone who reads these is in WA State, please e-mail me simsgirl50@comcast.net
Robin Sims Fisher

Just JoNell said...

Wow, Robin. Every Adak place I stumble on, I find you there already!

I'm Robin's younger sister. I grew up on Adak, living there from 1968 - 1981. Being younger, I was lucky enough to be able to stay longer! I attended school on Adak from Kindergarten through high school graduation and wouldn't trade that life for anything. Would that I coudl go back and raise my own children there.

Yes! Please, anyone from Adak do join us for our luncheons!

thirdstoolin said...

I find this Adak very interesting and brings back many memories. I was stationed on Adak in 1950 and 51 with the 39th supply sqdn. USAF. Our mission was to repack all the wartime supplies left there after WW2. I have the best picture of myself taken kneeling in front of the Adak National Forest sign and I treasure it. I would gladly share it if anyone is interested.

thirdstoolin said...

thirdstoolin again. I would love to correspond with anyone about Adak. I am 76 yrs old now but have many Adak experiences I could share with you. Thanks
radahlby@triwest.net

Terrence said...

I used to go to Adak on Training Trips and I bought a couple of your Photos while there. I was wondering if you still sold photos from your time up there.

Anonymous said...

My first tour of duty in the Navy was at Adak, in 1959/1960.

One of the more pleasant jobs was as a crew member flying on either of the UF 2 Grumman Albatross aircraft. Visited many of the islands, Attu, Shemya, Atka, Amchitka. Great memories. Have many photos including one of the Adak National Forest taken in the winter of 59/60.

ddomeier

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gracerocks1973,blogspot.com said...

Bill Mills USN 1964-1980
I was stationed in Adak from 1974-1977, and our second child, a daughter was born there in 1975. During my time there, we had a beautification project and were able to obtain seedlings from the National Forest Service of Alaska. (several thousand) We planted these around the habitated perimeter of Adak. My particular area of planting was on the hillside overlooking the runway and Mount Moffett. Would be interested in knowing how these trees grew, if any one has pictures. 1136romans.smills@gmail.com

Unknown said...

William E. Duty, USN ET2, on Adak for 15 months in 1986 and 1987. Thanks for the picture. Adak was like no place I'd ever been, and is no place I've been since.