Thursday, February 03, 2005

Wake up!!!


earthquake


I was soundly sleeping this morning, finally after getting to sleep around 430 AM. I woke with a start, and the feeling that I was falling. A cat, shot right over my face, and I sat up. Nothing. 2 cats still sleeping on the bed.

I thought that I had just jerked in my sleep, you know the kind, just as you are falling asleep and you JERK? I looked outside, and nothing was moving, the dog was still sleeping, so I went back to sleep. This was at 612 AM. At 805 the phone rang. It was my daughter asking me how I could sleep through that? THen I knew, and said I didnt, I just did not know what it was so went back to sleep.

It was a 3.0-3.5 earthquake almost directly UNDER ME!! Never lived in an epicenter before. Not sure I wanna be!

We live every day knowing that seismicaly we are living on the edge. THere are active volcanoes all around us, a slew of fault lines everywhere, and the threat of tsunamis should the BIG ONE hit us in the Sound. It usually doesnt even phase us.

It kind of gives one pause to think that there is an active fault running right under your house. Hmmm will I go UP or DOWN? will the house be 1/2 on and 1/2 off the same piece of ground? Will I fall into a giant chasm? NAH!! not on my watch it wont!

No comments: