Sunday, September 12, 2004

A taste of Summer...

I am sitting at the computer one day last week, and Donna comes home with a sack in her hand.

"what's in the bag, sweetie?'

"Maters!"

"oh"

"Heirloom Maters"

"Ah!"

"homegrown heirloom maters."

and into the kitchen she goes.

I am really fussy about tomatoes, they have to be firm, not too juicy, and free of stem and blossom ends.

And I don't like them cold. They hurt my teeth.

A few minutes later in she comes.

"here, try this"

(It is the end of the tomato, with the blossom end still on. YUCK!!!)

So as not to hurt her feelings, I take a bite of the firm shoulder of the tomato. AND WAS IN HEAVEN!!!!!!

IT was Firm, It was just juicy enough, but the best part was it was the sweetest tomato I have ever tasted, and it just FILLED your mouth with flavor!

I jumped back up from the desk, and headed into the kitchen where she was just devouring the very last of the best tomato I have ever had!

"reminds me of the tomatoes Dad grew when we lived in Virginia Beach." she says.

Not quite as good as this was. She had others, but she ate the only Brandywine tomato. :( So she gets on the internet and orders several pkgs of heirloom tomatoes for next year.

Yep, I assume we are gonna grow some, even if We have to coddle them along. They were the best thing I have had in years!

Summer doesn't get much better than a fresh warm juicy tomato right off the vine, that tastes sweet and fills your tastebuds with a wonderful flavor of the season.

pass the salt please...

No comments: