Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Sleeping Lady...Awake?

Well the geologists are now predicting that Mt St Helens COULD erupt at any time. The earthquakes have gotten stronger and more frequent every day. There are around 1 a minute right now, and seem to be in the 2.5-2.9 range. The scientists are up in the dome right now, and setting out more equipment. They have closed the trails and the roads around the mountain, and are warning tourists to stay away, BUT as soon as you say that, the tourists, idiots that they are, flock to the place to push the envelope as far as they can.

In 1980 when she blew her top, she killed 58 people. All either in the red zone, or close enough to it that they should have known better. The films that were recovered were mind numbing. We had one reporter with a camera, that got away, but He actually thought he was going to die. He kept filming as he was walking, and talking, and said good by to his loved ones, and the ash came down and blacked everything out. He made it out BARELY, and was one very humble young man. There was a family that was camping on the ridge across the valley, in the safe zone, They are the ones who took the famous photos of the side of the mountain sliding away. Cars had the pint sandblasted off of them, and the news showed the mudflows as it hit the rivers, and flooded all the way over I-5. There is the famous shot of an entire house crashing into the bridge over I-5, and turning the house into spinters. It is awesome.

It is predicted that the eruption when it comes will be no where near the force that it was the first time, that this may be steam venting, or dome building. Volcanoes fascinate me. I should have been a scientist. I love the natural flow of nature. I enjoy weather, and the way the world is changed I enjoy the sea and the way that the world is changed by it, and I love geology and the way the world and the stars are changed by it.

Why couldn't I have been born smart instead of so good looking? ah well. When the Mountain blows I will try to go get some pictures of it for you, IF the clouds allow me to.

No comments: