Saturday, September 11, 2004

First Storm of many...

Wind. Rain. Emergency Scanner. Lights blinking. Computer being a butt. Sadie refusing to go outside. Yep, It’s Fall! As if I did not know it. The Farmer’s roadside stands are changing from berries to the more sturdy vegetables. Corn, squash, potatoes, tomatoes, pears, and peaches. Soon it will be apple time.

I noticed this evening on my way home from the Playhouse, that the Sherman Farm was harvesting their corn stalks already. This is silage corn, not Ear corn, although it has ears. They chew up the entire stalk and put it into the silo to ferment for the cows. It seems very early for this. They usually wait until just about the first of October, so that the Stalks can be gathered for decorations in town.

The beaches around the Seaplane Base are shoulder to shoulder with the active duty fishermen. The salmon are on their way back into the streams to spawn and they stop by the seaplane ramps to visit before they head to their imprinted home stream. The Fish and Game people raised the fry in pens in the seaplane waters after they were spawned and imprinted where their eggs hatched. This makes the fish head to the base, and then on to their natal streams. It is kinda tricky to do that, but in an area that has an economy based on seafood, it makes sense. This assures that both the sports man and the commercial fishermen and the native Indians all get their fair share.

It is only 60 degrees out there, but it is chilly after the super hot summer we had, and already my neighbor has a fire in the fireplace. The pungent smell of the fir as it is being burned, just shouts AUTUMN! I love it. The pears and apples on Lea’s trees are falling off the trees and on to my yard, so tomorrow it has to be fruit time. There are too many to waste, and I have an empty apple sauce cupboard. I think I will try Pear sauce. We like it chunky, so this will be a good time to get them before the deer and the Yellow jackets do.

Leslie would hate to be here right now. The wind is really blowing out there, and the wind chimes are just a tinkling!! I have 2 out front, and 4 out back. I want one of those 6 foot long tuned ones that sound like church bells when they play. They are so cool! I can go to sleep in a heartbeat listening to them tinkle all night long.

The scanner just toned out District 5 fire to a fallen tree over the road and on the power lines, and I am sure this is going to be the first of many that will fall this year. Since the power is blinking, I need to turn this off and shut it down all the way, in case there is a power surge. Yep, it certainly is Autumn!

No comments: