Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sunny and cool today...

This is what they are calling the calm between the storms. Last night the wind was really really whipping it up out there. 45-50 MPH sustained winds in Oak Harbor. But what was really amazing is that the lights did not blink ONCE. Not in Oak Harbor, and not here at home either. The mainland got whomped though over 3ooo homes in the dark.

Wind itself is not the main cause of the lights and wires going down. We have a LOT of evergreen trees around here, and they have a very shallow root system. wide, but shallow. It rains and rains and rains, and then the ground gets saturated, and the clay layers get slippery, and then the wind blows and there is nothing for the trees to grab on to, so their roots just slip and over they go, taking the electric wires with them. A few trees in back did lose a top, but I cant see where a whole alder went down. Sure was noisy though.

Today it is calm and sunny and cold. no wind, no rain, just Sun and cold air. I almost gave in and built a fire in the woodstove, but I did not. I dont want to build one until November 1, and stop building them after April 1. I just put a sweater on and my spiffy slipper socks. stay nice and toasty.

I just heard on the weather report that there is more storm with heavy winds coming down the pike. Sposed to hit tomorrow. and be a series of them until Halloween when it will clear up. This system is coming down from the Gulf of Alaska, and has a lot of unstable air in it, which means stormy, blustery fall weather. I think I had better see where I stored the lanterns and the gas.

Tilly caught a rat today, at first I thought it was a squirrel, because it was a brownish color and it had long hair! I dont know whether it is a sign of a really cold winter coming, or that I just had never noticed long haired rats before. She was burying it under the fence, so I went out and took it away from her. I dont want them digging under the fence and discovering the rest of the world out there.

Donna is missing her Puppy big time. ANd I am missing Donna too. It is nice to be able to make noise in the living room again though. I can actually sit in my new chair and watch tv instead of going into my bedroom.
Her bedroom was right off the living area, and she likes total peace and quiet. No music, no TV. Well she is getting it right now. She is living in a house with only a bed and a dresser. She will be getting the rest of her furniture this weekend when Bill moves over to this side. Then They will come and get Tilly, and the rest of the stuff out of the bedroom, and then My house will be MINE!! YES!!

No comments: