Monday, October 10, 2005

Another almost sleepless night...

Another almost sleepless night.  I am getting really tired of all this.  I go to bed at a reasonable hour, and read until I am sleepy, turn out the light and hunker down under the covers with the pillows and the cat.  30 min to an hour later I wake up and can not get back to sleep. I have five crossword puzzle books by the bed, all the maps I have gotten from blogger friends,  (You KNOW I love them!) and a stack of magazines along with my book.  I start with one and go to others until I get sleepy again.  Last night, I woke up at 330, 430, 545 and 700. That is when I decided it was time to haul my fat ass out of the bed, and get busy.  Maybe if I work my self into tiredness that will help.  My back has been right on the verge of going into spasms for almost a week, so I have not been doing much at all.  

One of the really wonderful things about being awake so early is getting to see the colors that the sunrise paints on the high clouds.  My house faces South west so I can not see the actual sunrise.  There are too many alders in the way.  I am also on the west side of the island and if the trees were all gone, there would still be a ridge that would block the sunrise.  Today  the clouds were blowing in from the pacific dark and foreboding, and the wind was picking up as the dark turned to light.  The high clouds to the East were tinted a gorgeous pink and purple, and the space through the trees was a vivid color also.  Two doves flew down to the feeder to join the flock of chickadees that were hopping in and out of the sunflower seeds. Doves, when they are fluttering down, make a whistle with their wings, which alerts the dogs that they are there.  So off Tilly and Sadie went, charging at the feeder and chasing all the birds away.  

Time for coffee and the laundry.  And then get the press releases written for the next show.  I am going over the Mountains with My Brother and Sister tomorrow.  My yearly Fall trip over to get apples for sauce.  The Apples are just a great excuse to go over, and the scenery and the color is the best part.  Our North Cascades highway has got to be one of the most gorgeous highways in the country.  We will be heading East over SR-20 and back over US-2, making the loop in about 12 hours.  Makes for a really long day, but then you have all those pictures to look at all year long.  Blog fodder ya know.

I have started again on my mothers quilt.  I almost have the top complete and then on to the actual quilting.  I am not sure just how extensive I want to get with the stitching.  I would have to do it all by hand, and I do not have a quilt rack.  I may just tie it, or stitch around the squares, and tie the middles.  I want to get this done, as It was started over 71 years ago.  My Mom made all the squares when she was 9, and they have just been hiding in a trunk all these years.  It is time to get it used.  Then on to my own quilt.  I cut out a sunbonnet Sue pattern, and have it all ready to be appliquéd onto the squares, but the problem is, (I don’t know how to appliqué!)  I thought it would be easy and it is not, so I have to figure this out.  I love bright colorful quilts and this one will be, if I ever finish it.
(Tricia, any advise on appliqué?)

IT seems the dogs are ready to go back outside after their breakfast, so time to get off this keyboard and get busy.  See ya Wednesday.

No comments: