Tuesday, October 25, 2005

And now Wind!

LAst night coming home from oak Harbor, I was expecting really thick ground fog. I was actually surprised. It had lifted, but not very far. It was clear, down where the headlights shined, and thick like a blanket from windsheild height to about tree top level, and then clear again. The moon was shining on it and it looked very Hollywoodish. THe moonlight shining through the fog layer, and lighting the clear spaces in between. I wanted to stop and try and get a picture, but it would not have turned out. it was way too dark. AS I drove up to the top of the island, it was crystal clear, and the stars and moon were very bright, and when I dipped down onto the prairie, it too was almost clear, just a few whisps of fog. I came on home and as I got out of the car, I could hear the ships in the strait, so I knew it was foggy there too.

Tonight, the wind has kicked up and it is swirling leaves around like whirling dervishes in the road way. The rain yesterday has all dried up and the leaves are crackling and brown, and when they hit the window they snap. I was amazed at how many leaves there were on the highway, considering that it is mostly evergreens bthrough there. It is sposed to peak at about 30-45 MPH this evening. Seattle has a few power outages, and they are having major rain. We usually dont. SO we are entering our usual Fall weather patterns. Wind and Fog. I was sitting here typing the last paragraph and I heard a snap, CRACK! Thud, and then both Tilly and Sadie started barking. I went out and looked and could see no trees laying across the fence, so I assume it was in the woods. The alders have been sending off broken branches all afternoon.

I just let the girls in, and it is clear and nippy out there all ready. We have not had our first frost yet, but I would not be surprised to see this week or next. and I am predicting snow before Thanksgiving. It wont stick around, but it will count. I love Fall!

No comments: