Thursday, June 16, 2005

Roaming...


Timmy Pat

I found this picture in among the things that belong in the hope chest. I remember this day so very clearly.

Jim and I had separated, and planned on just staying that way, and Tim had moved in with me in my little one room studio appt. We also spent quite a bit of time together, playing catch, talking, baseball, and our favorite thing to do…roaming.

Roaming was just getting in the truck and driving around all the back roads, walking the beaches, visiting the state parks, just ….BEING….

This day we had walked out on the bluff overlooking the Deception Pass Bridge. We were on the North side, which was usually deserted, because it takes some walking to get to. We were just sitting there soaking up the sun, and playing with the camera. I snapped this one as he was laying on his tummy looking at the grass and the bugs going by. He had just taken a picture of me and one of his foot too.

He was so innocent and trusting then. He identified more with me than with his Dad. I was the outdoors person his Dad was NOT. I played catch with him; His Dad was coaching another team. I taught him to fish. I also taught him to drive, although I did not know it at the time. Tim and I were alone together for about 6 years, and then I got transferred to Adak, Alaska, and he went to Orcas Island where his sister worked.

I loved those days, we were broke, we were pinching pennies, I was going to School, and we lived in a 1-room studio. Those were the happiest days of Tim’s life. He has told me so many times. He remembers eating the fish and the smelt we caught because that was all we had. He LOVED it.

I must have done something right, to instill in him those values, even though he did forget them when he discovered the “Biotch”. He has returned to trying to get his life back on track, and When he was home last year recovering, I asked him what the one thing he remembered about me. He did not even pause…”Roaming, Mom, those were the best times.”

SNORF!!!!!!! SNIFF!!!!!

No comments: