Monday, June 13, 2005

Meeting the Crushes...

Ellen and her Curtis came all the way out here to the Left side of the map to the lower left hand corner if you are Canadian, and to the upper right hand corner if you are American. Visiting her Brother And her sister. When she first started planning this, I invited myself up to Vancouver to meet her, and she was thrilled.

Today Phyllis and I headed North to the Border, knowing that there was a huge Celebration going on at the border crossing on I-5. So we took the Route through Lynden which is about 15 miles to the East of Blaine. We waited in line for about 20 minutes to get through.


heading
into Canada

Finally got up to the booth and Mr. Friendly looked at us and said, goods? we said Huh? He said you got any Goods? We said HUH? He said DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO DECLARE? I said no real fast and he looked away. Phyllis said what now? he said you can go, She said You mean were done, that's IT? he rolled his eyes and said yeah. so went we did.



Southbound

There was about a 1/2 mile back up of traffic waiting to get back into the US as we headed on up to the road that would take us to White Rock, B.C. Where We had planned to meet Ellen and Curtis.

We were expecting a full 4 hour hang up at the border as that's what the news had been saying. SO needless to say we were really early, so We found a spot and parked and Phyllis walked along the Promenade and I sat there watching people.

I have a really cool walking stick that Barbara bought for me when we were in Astoria, Oregon, and I take pictures of my adventures, and laminate them and hang them from the rawhide strip on the handle. I had a number of old folks stop and comment on my Hickory Stick. I like it, it helps me walk, and it also is an ice breaker now. I have astoria, Anacortes, and now White Rock on it along with the pictures of the people I have met. I will take a good picture of it tomorrow in the sun.


Ellen Joe and Cathy

Phyllis and I decided to head over to the restaurant early and sit on the patio and watch people, but just as we sat down, Ellen and Curtis showed up early too, so we went in, got a table and yakked, and laughed, and made all kinds of noise, and had a really great time.


ellens party

After about 2 hours, Joe and his new friend Cathy came in. So we introduced ourselves all around and started in talking again. The Waitress was really cool and took our pictures with all of our cameras. We ordered fish and chips, ate our meal, and talked somemore.

Since Phyllis had to work tomorrow, we headed back about 745, and the Crushes headed home so Ellen could rest. Joe and Cathy headed out also. TOmorrow Ellen is going to get her wish and go on a whale watching trip to see the Orcas!! She is really looking forward to it, and I hope she sees some they are really an awesome sight to see.

I could not find my Birth certificate, so I had all of my families papers with me, and he said he believed me, and was very friendly and nice, and waved us right through, With a friendly reminder that we needed to get our passports. SO as soon as I save 100.00 I will go get mine. I figure I am not through with Canada yet. Too many friends to meet, cats to pet, and stories to tell.

No comments: