Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Spotted OWL?

Ok, SO I am sitting here last night listening to bird calls trying to identify said Bird noise. I am at OWL PAGES and when I hit the play button, Sadie went NUTS!!! I played it again, and she wanted that BIRD!! now what is so odd about this whole thing is that the Spottes endangered, and only nests in old growth timber. We are clear cut and regrowth Alder. SO what is a spotted owl doing here? I opened BARRED owl which is a close relation and the call sounds like the BARRED owl, but the Screech sounds like a spotted owl. I suppose it is possible that there are two different birds out there making noises. The screech is sposedly a female calling cry.

I saw a program on the news about the Spotted and Barred owls, and the naturalist said that in some areas, they have cross-bred, and were called sparred owls. I wonder if they call like a Barred and screech like a spotted? I sure would like to know for sure. I am a member of Audubon Washington State, so Maybe I should swallow my pride and ask for help? I hate to think it is a Spotted and have it turn out to be something totally different.

That would make our woods untouchable!! teehee!! I am so afraid that someone will buy the acreage and cut down all the trees, and there would go my wildlife.

Sadie sure does like that noise...used it to catch her and put her to bed last night. Im such a shit...

No comments: