Sunday, June 20, 2004

Happy Father's Day Dad!

When we were little, We were transfered across the pacific ocean every two years. Dad was always allowed to travel with us, and it made for a vacation like atmosphere. We always departed from San Fransico, Calif. No matter where we were stationed last. We would have to drive to Salinas, Ca and spend the night with my Aunt Dutch, then Dad would change into his dress uniform and off we would go the next day to leave for either Hawaii, or Guam.


We travelled via Transport ships run by either the US ARMY or the US NAVY, and it was quite a trip. Every time we left, we would get our pictures taken for Dad's military Records, and depending on how good they were, We always got copies.



This particular trip was on the way to Guam in 1951. Phyllis was 2 and I was 5. We had just spent two years in Hawaii, and our next duty station was across the pacific again. We have cruised across the Pacific a total of 6 times in our very young lives. And each time was an experience. I always got seasick, and ended up hanging over the rail all day watching the water so I would not get sick. Mom and Dad of course played the adult games, while we just played with our few toys that we were allowed to bring.

I always remember my Dad on these trips, because he was with us all day, while the other Dads were not allowed to be with their families. It was a fun time. We learned so much about geography from Dad. I can remember sitting on top of our Quonset hut at night, watching for the glow from Johnson Island Atoll, as an atom bomb test went off. I also remember seeing the glow from erupting valcanoes on Hawaii.

We stopped at Eniwetok Atoll, which is no longer there, and disembarked passengers that were to live there.

It was a real adventure. I miss my Dad very much. I still talk to him every once in awhile.

Thanks for the Memories Dad. You done us good!!

No comments: