Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Getting the ball rolling...

Tim has not done anything about the accident other than contact the authorities and see a lawyer. His lawyer told him that he would not be able to take his case due to a heavy work load. Tim thought things were in the works, but no they weren't. So today we drove up to Bellingham and saw a personal injury lawyer. I asked questions and made sure that Tim understood what was going on, and before we left, I asked Tim if there was anything he did not understand. He gets it now.

He will, or SHOULD get his medical bills all paid, his attorney fees paid, and lost wages for 6 weeks. He MIGHT get pain and suffering also, as he has lost his domicile due to no work, so he basically is homeless. Tim thinks he will get quite a bit of money, upwards of 25 thousand, I think He will be lucky to get 10K. He NEEDS to get a lot, so that he can pay off his fines from last year, then get his drivers license back, then get a car again, so he can start over.

The system is messed up as far as I am concerned. THey put a person in jail, so he loses his job, does his time, but cant pay his fines, so they suspend his license? Now when he gets out of jail he cant get a job, because he cant get to work, because he cant pay his fines so he cant drive! huh? Seems to me that if we truely want to rehabilitate a Felon, we should make him serve his time, and then do everything we can to make sure he can get back into society and become a functioning human being again. But what do I know?


tired and scruffy, but safe now!

This has been a very humbling 4 years for this young man. He was a law-abiding citizen until he met the BITCH FROM HELL, who introduced him to Meth. THe down hill slide started then. He now has nothing left to lose, but he still has a good sense of humor. He is contrite, and very humbled, but he can laugh, and he can talk, and he is eating well. (NOW).

I have been the type of parent who raised my children to know what was right and what was wrong, and that they needed to abide by the law. They knew that if they screwed up, there was a price to pay. ANd MOM did not do the crime so MOM does not pay. And I don't. I would not bail him out of jail, I went to see him eevery day, I would not pay his fines, I offered him housing. I would not loan him any money, I made sure he was ok, and let him suffer his own consequences. I am a hard woman. But you know, my Son and my Daughter both love me, and they both know they are loved, and we say it often.

Tim said that in all of this the worst thing was he lost his good reputation. Yep, he did, and on a small island with a small town too. SO everybody has watched his fall from grace. Now let's hope that everybody can watch the rise of a humbled, but wonderful young man, as he pays his dues, and struggles to regain the most important thing a man can own...his reputation.

No comments: