Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Can't sleep...

When I was younger, a LOT younger, I would sleep 12-15 hours a day if I could. I would sleep in until 1:00 PM. Or until either my Brother or my Sister would wake me up.

When I started working, I worked from 630 AM until 3 PM and then I would go party, come home and sleep until time to go back to work. It was tough trying to find a husband that would be able to take care of me the rest of my life. On my days off, I slept!

When I had kids, I slept when they did, otherwise there WAS no sleeping. I was fortunate enough to have a husband who was an early riser, and he would let me sleep. I think a lot of it was escapism.

As I grew older, Sleep became a time of peace, and rest. I would go to bed fairly early and get up fairly early also. Sleeping in was 9-930 AM.

Now that I am retired, I have formed a weird pattern. I will go to bed around 1100, and read until I fall asleep, which most nights is right away. Then I will have to wake up about an hour or two later to get up and pee the first time. I may or may not be able to get back to sleep. Didn't matter, I have all day, I have crossword puzzle books and maps to read. And then I will fall back to sleep, until I have to get up in another 2 hours to pee again.

the past few nights however, I am getting to sleep around 100 AM and waking up around 330, and staying awake! Not tired, not sleepy, just mad, because I cant sleep. My feet will be burning up, or ice cold. SO I am either crawling under the covers that I fell asleep on top of, or crawling out from under the covers that I had cocooned myself in.

Tonight was another one of those nights, only this time I am tired, and I am sleepy, and I want to go back to sleep, but as soon as I turn out the light to try again, I am wide awake. The experts tell you to get up away from your bed, and go sit in a chair until you are ready for bed again.

SO that is why I am sitting here updating my blog at 450 AM! I have tons to do today, so I should be getting my rest, but I cant! My mind is whirling, and twirling! I have Act III to rehearse this evening, and then I have to run across the parking lot to the main stage, for auditions for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. So I wont get to bed until late again. I also have to go grocery shopping as I finally have money in my account again.

I have watched Mars make his transition across the early early morning sky, I have watched the stars over head get dimmer and dimmer as the fog layer moves in and covers them. I have watched the northern sky looking for the Auroras that might hit today. And I have finally heard the first bird of the morning chirp his little self awake. The tree line is just barely visible against the deep navy blue sky, and it is getting a tad bit lighter every minute. It seemed like just yesterday that the tree line was plainly visible at 345 AM. Now it is closer to 515!! Soon it wont be light until 800, and will get dark again around 430.

It is almost time to go make a pot of coffee, as Donna will be getting up in about an hour, and madly rushing around getting ready for work. It is nice to know that I can crawl back into my bed, and pull the covers back over my head, and sleep until I want to get up, but I wont. I may catch a nap or two, during the day, but those are no more than 15-20 minutes long.

What do you take in your morning coffee? I'll go make us some...

No comments: