Sunday, August 14, 2005

Barn Dance Saturday Night...

Last night was the 5th annual Dillingers Clambake barn Dance in Smith's Barn on the prairie. We went last year but Bob had something to do on Sunday so we left early. This year we stayed until the rest of the old farts were starting to leave, then we did. It was soooo much fun watching the people!


Barn Dance

The Barn is over 100 years old and sturdy but drafty. There is a concrete floor in 1/4 of the barn, so that is where the dance floor is. The people either bring lawn chairs, or sit on the hay bales that are edging the dance floor. We sat on the hay bales. Bob has never danced so we just sat and watched the rest of the people go for it.


bob

It was dark by the time Bob had to go Pee, so I could not get the requisite picture of him coming out of the john. So I opted instead to get the scary "He didn't know I was taking his picture" shot. Cute huh? (shudder) This dance was open to all ages, and people brought their tiny kids in and let me tell you those kids were up dancing right along side their parents!! Just bouncing and jumping up and down, and twirling and running, and having a ball! They all conked out about 10:00 and fell asleep on a hay bale. Why not!

the whole time I was watching, I was thinking back to the days when we would go to the club on Base and dance our hearts out. Oak Harbor was a Dutch Reformed town, and there was no place in town to dance, so everyone, civilians included, went into the Norwester Club which was the Enlisted club just off base. We would dance until it was time to close and go home. I loved to dance, and did almost all night long. I don't know if I could now or not. Maybe I should buy some Richard Simmons tapes and see how much I can hurt myself with them.

Bob and I were watching one couple that could really do the swing, and he nudged me with his elbow and said "that's us next year" Yeah, RIGHT! I started to say "well Bob, you realize that you would have to actually TOUCH me to dance like that...
But I didn't! There was one couple there that danced every dance fast or slow the same way. He was a long drink of water, with a cowboy shirt and hat (black hat of course) and boots, and his partner was a blonde with long hair and a long black sweater on. They held each other in a traditional dance pose, and just went round and round and round the floor, sometimes she was backwards and sometimes she was, but they danced well together. The whole time he has this big toothy grin on his face. I never saw him without it. IT was fun to watch.


Sunflower volunteers

this morning the sun was hitting the bedroom window just right, and I looked out and saw that it was also backlighting the sunflowers that were growing right under the bird feeder. I let them grow, because they are pretty. They are all volunteers, from seed that the birds kicked off the tray. Not planted, just sitting on top of the mulch and sending out roots to grow with. I love them.


Tilly

As I was taking another picture of the sides of the sunflowers hoping to get the backlight just right, I had a surprise. I was in here downloading and then publishing some pictures when I noticed that there in the window on top of all my pillows, was Tilly. She was the Doggie in the window. RUFF RUFF! The one with the waggely taaaiiilll. Sorry I got carried away.

No comments: