Monday, March 07, 2005

What a sight!...




I had a wonderful weekend! I will tell all about it in several posts this week, but the post today is about 1 hour of the weekend.

I left Barbs house around 12:00, and drove up 101 along the Hood Canal. This road is very sparsely habitated, and follows the fjord right along the water. There are several pull offs to allow faster moving traffic to go by. I was pushing along about the speed limit +5 and enjoying the ride. I noticed several people out on these pull outs looking out at the Canal. I glimpsed a guy on a skidoo, so just kept on trucking. About Liliwaup, I noticed a LOT of people watching the guy on the skidoo, so I assumed he was making acrobatic movements.


Along the next big pull out there were people with Binoculars looking at the guy, so I said...Self, there is something more going on than what you think, so pull over and see. So being the good girl that I am (I always listen to my conscience) I pulled over and grabbed my binoculars. I always have a set handy, and when I drive I have them hanging over the head rest of the riders seat at the ready.

I looked out and the guy had fallen off his skidoo, and was no where to be found. Then I noticed a fin, and another fin, all black, and small, SO I knew then that the guy on the skidoo was really a bunch of dolphins playing.

I was right across from where I thought the SUBASE Bangor was, and I knew that they kept Dolphins for security porpoises. (pun intended) I thought that they were out on maneuvers.

Suddenly I saw a white patch on a bigger fin, and realized that what I was looking at was a pod of Orcas! There were 2 huge females, and about 6 juveniles. They were breaching, and spy hopping and the little ones were sticking their tails out of the water and waving them. It was sooo spectacular!! They were about 1/2 mile off shore, so they were safe, and we were so blessed with the show that they were putting on. The Females would pop way out of the water and splash back down then the youngsters would Sound. And then they would jump. It was a real treat.

I sat there for about an hour watching them frolic, and then with a sigh, I put my glasses down and drove on up to the ferry landing in Port Townsend. I was hoping for the 315 ferry, and I was the 2nd to the last car allowed on, so the timing was PERFECT. I got home about 4:00 and Sadie almost turned inside out wiggling, when she saw me.

I gave her lots of loving and promised I would take her next time I went. Hopefully by then the laptop will be fixed and I can post daily from wherever...So I can take ya'll along too.

No comments: